Gateway laptop freezing up

Discussion in 'Software' started by taxman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. taxman

taxman Private E-2

Laptop powers up. Software seems to be loading. However, during the booting process, the pointer on screen freezes and the pad does not respond. The software continues to load, but I cannot do anything else. The only way to turn it off and reboot is to unplug the power. The problem coninues with each reboot. Any ideas.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which windows version?

Have you installed any new software or updated drivers before this happened, if so what?

Can you boot into Safe Mode ( F8 at boot ) to see if your laptop works in that mode ok?

3. taxman

taxman Private E-2

I am using Windows XP Media center.

No new programs except automatic updates from Microsoft. No new drivers that I know of.

I performed a XP system recovery. Seemed to work, but it still freezes at varying points of usage. I am able to get further and actually run some software but the system eventually freezes again.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As Halo intimated, a windows update , as well (if no new programs or driver has been added,) could be giving issues.
    Also, you could have a problem with your hard drive, which would not be good news, on a laptop. I would use the hard drive manufacturers software tools for this, Maxtor (now under Seagate) and most others have their own tools to do this - but I would suggest that , first, from Start/run, you type in CHKDSK /R (note the space before the forward slash) , and windows will check/repair any faults.(You will need to restart for this to run)
    Then try sfc /scannow, with you windows cd in the cd/dvd rom drive, and everytime it asks, click retry. This will replace Windows protected files, if corrupted/faulty.This can take some time, depending on how much you have installed on your computer, and general pc capabilities.
    Some Microsoft updates can be uninstalled, so it can also be worth uninstalling the last updates , prior to the problem.
    Come back if you need more help - there are plenty of brains here, at majorgeeks, and you should get more help, if you need it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  5. taxman

taxman Private E-2

Thanks for the info. Tried chkdsk /R but it would not execute. System msg said being used by other processes. You said I would need to restart fo this to run. Do I go into safe mode? The only way I can run my laptop is to boot from a previously good start point (F8). I get a few hours of worktime, then the freeze. I loaded Norton 360, thought it would help by finding system, or registry errors.....guess not. Not sure what kind of hard disk drive is in the unit. This is an aux machine. I can save all necessary work files. If I do that, might the problem be corrected if I recover the system to its original state? To everyone..... Thanks again for all the help

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When the little box comes up , saying locked, press y, and then click restart
    I thought it might be a good idea to give you a link to microsofts explanation of chkdsk, so that you can see where we are going.
    When the system restarts, if you clicked yes (y), it will show the Windows logo then go straight into disk checking. If your system will not automatically restart (give it plenty of time) - then do what you normally do to shut it down - not usually recommended, but sometimes has to be just unplugged. Then restart, and see if it goes to chkdsk on its own (I have found it usually does) - If it does not automatically do so, then, elect to use f8, as you have before, a previously good start point, and it should run chkdsk, as it starts to go into XP.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb490876(TechNet.10).aspx

You asked
    U]I can save all necessary work files.[/U] If I do that, might the problem be corrected if I recover the system to its original state?
    This is the best way to be sure that the system is running at its best, but you will need to update your XP Media Centre , afterwards.
    If you have the backup,(often on a hidden partition on your hard drive, on laptops) then I would save my data, and run CHKDSK /R, before recovering to original state, just to make sure the hard drive is o.k.
    If you download Everest from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181, it will list your system, and hard drive (its very small, and not a resource hogger)
    I have to go off-line until tommorrow, but others might help, if you need more.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I thought that I should also tell you that a faulty memory stick can cause similar problems, and I have a link to help you if you try the first solutions for chkdsk, and sfc /scannow, and it does not solve it, then this link shows how many laptops have memory installed, but if its inside further, you should not attemp it, without downloading a manual from the laptop manufacturer.
    Also, XP service pack 3 has caused some problems.
    http://www.buycomputermemory.com/installing-laptop-memory.html
    It would be helpful, if you post the laptop name, model, and anything you can from the Everest report, that will help us to check further.
    I might not be able to come back on line tonoght, but if I can, I will, but others might help, at majorgeeks.

8. taxman

taxman Private E-2

Thanks again for your comments. I will be away for a few days. I will let you know of any progress.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds