Gateway Laptop Upgrade to Win7 -Dual monitor prob

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mzkittey, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mzkittey

mzkittey Private E-2

Hi all - I just upgraded my Gateway MX6453 laptop to Windows 7. Prior I was running XP SP3 with a full size wireless keyboard/mouse and monitor connected for easier use while in my office. However, now that I am upgraded to Win7, the monitor connected to the laptop via VGA cable will not display. The biggest issue is that it is a 'generic' monitor I bought about 9 or so years ago - there is no brand name associated so I can't go to the mfgr website for newer driver. Device Manager shows everything is OK under monitors/display/video/etc, I tried to update the drivesr thru DM but it tells me that Windows has determined the current driver is the best. I ran Windows Update hoping it would find an alternative driver - nope. FN + F4 does not switch the display to the monitor. Tried to change the settings in Control Panel/devices but no luck. Any suggestions to remedy this would be most welcome. Thank you!!

2. mzkittey

mzkittey Private E-2

Resolved - Gateway Laptop Upgrade to Win7 -Dual monitor prob

This morning I decided to plug the offending monitor into my husbands computer (he is already running Win7), and his into my newly reformatted laptop. Coincidentally, both monitors worked just fine on the opposite computers. Wrote down the driver info that his computer installed for my monitor so I could download it to my laptop, switched the monitors back to their respectful homes/computers, and suddenly my laptop displays on the external monitor. Can't put my finger on exactly what happened to make it work, but I am happy that it does!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds