Gateway Laptop Will Not Boot Up

Discussion in 'Software' started by krispyro, Jun 8, 2016.

1. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

Well son of a gun. Now this laptop will not boot up ! Only gives me a blank screen with a flashing curser. Can't boot into safe mode either. Only thing I can get it to do is go into setup utility F2. Any help please.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Please give the exact model name and model number for this system, and the exact Operating System and any Service Pack installed.
    Did the system come with a physical recovery Windows Disk or an inbuilt (on the hard drive) recovery partition?
    If you can remember were any updates installed immediately or soon before this problem occurred, or any software installation?
    Please do try and cover all three points above.
    Thanks

3. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

Gateway, Model nv55c03u, windows 7, sp1 i believe. Laptop belongs to fiancee, i just completed walware removal last month (see post with kestral13) and as far as i can tell I have downloaded and installed all updates. It was working good untill the other day. I had been watching youtube videos of repairing my Harley and next day wouldnt boot up. No recent updates or installs thatiam aware of. I tunes wanted to update but i dont think i allowed it to. No recovery disk. I think it has a recovery partition on hard drive but not sure.

4. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

64 bit, model PEW91. SYSTEM BD/BIOS:1.07/PEW91 1.07.

5. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Most laptops do have recovery.

If it is not booting up.

It could be a number of things.

Bad Power cord/Bad power supply/Bad Ram

Check your ram first.A lot of times Ram can be come lose if laptop is moved around a lot.You might have to go out and buy a ram for this.Check to see how many ram sticks are in the laptop.

Some models have a slot on the out side underneath the laptop.But there are some like mine that are on the inside of the laptop.

Some laptops might just have a cover over the ram slots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  6. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

Two Ram memory sticks inside. They are in place. Removed and reinserted to be sure. Attached is a pic. 20160611_081012.jpg

7. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

I was able to get the Alt F10 to boot up and after looking at options I exited that screen and it gave me the option to boot into safe mode with networking and I logged in as administrator. So now I need advise to proceed from this point.

8. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

I used system restore to put computer back to last known stable and clean system. I would still like to figure out what caused the problem.

9. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

In windows seven let's do a few scan's in safe mode.

Go to start menu and in search bar type CMD for command prompt.When command prompt is listed Right click it and give it administrator privileges.

Type this --->> SFC /Scannow
    System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Let us know if you find any thing.

Than after that scan we will do a full Hard drive error check.

Go back to Start Menu and Type CMD again Right click on CMD for the administrator privileges.

Than Type this --->> chkdsk /f

It will prompt you a question to scan for HDD errors.Press Y for Yes than hit enter and reboot system and let it do it's thing.

Let's us know if there are any errors.

You can post the info in here.

10. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

OK I have done the scans with cmd prompt. Nothing found in those 2 scans.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I would ignore verbose posts about malware since, as you have already been to the correct forum for that, it is not the issue. And other than people suggesting you can run an AV scan, they should not be listing multiple malware programs for you to use because they are not trained to do that.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  12. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

Ok then, i am waiting for further advise from someone that is affiliated with MG.

13. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

MaxTurner you are the one that began to help me, then fell off the radar i do believe.

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Sadly, I had no further ideas after your post #8. We are all just computer users. We are not trained or paid technicians. We give you what advice we can, not stuff we make up just for an answer.

15. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

Well sir i do appreciate your help and others affiliated with MG. I have been using this forum since before 201o. If you had no other ideas i wish you would of said that. I did get my laptop working and still dont know what caused my original problem of it not booting Operating system up. I would like to take this time to say hello to MAJOR ATTITUDE, Chaslang and Nick ADSL UK . I haven't had the pleasure of these guys helping me out in years (which is a good thing i guess :)). They have always been a big help.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  16. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi krispyro...

We do not allow anything done in regards to virus/malware cleaning outside of our official Malware Forum so please do disregard anything in regards to that unless you are running the scans at the direction of our experts in there.

No one is officially affiliated with Major Geeks other than the owners, Major Attitude and Corporal Punishment. All others are just here volunteering their time and expertise which we are very grateful for and have some very knowledgeable people here.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Eldon and satrow like this.
  17. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

You may call it what you want to in regards to affiliated, but if they help out on your MG forums then they are one way or another. Sounds like your splitting hairs here. Anyways i appreciate all the help, and a big high five to the volunteers !!

LauraR likes this.
  18. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

We try to help. Sometimes we can, and sometimes we... :confused: o_O

19. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Just to answer that point, once you used System Restore (your post #8) and essentially solve the problem, there is no way anyone can tell you what caused the initial problem. To do that someone would have to sit at your system, create a total system back up saved to external media, and then reverse the restore point usage to try and replicate the problem and - might, just might - be able to see what caused it. But on a forum? Not a chance.

20. krispyro

krispyro Private E-2

Hahaha, I understand that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds