Gateway monitor turns off by itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samj15, May 19, 2012.

1. samj15

samj15 Private E-2

My Gateway LED monitor turns itself off by itself. Sometimes it will go for 45 minutes and other times for 5 mins. It is set to never shut down or go to standby. I have run virus scans and spyware software and found nothing. My device manager shows it is working properly and I have the latest drives for the monitor. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Depending on how old it is, the inverter is probably shot, or power supply is showing problems, which is the signs that you are getting, monitor shutting down. Do not know where you got that running a virus scan is going to tell you that the monitor is infected. No way that it could.

3. samj15

samj15 Private E-2

The monitor is about 8 or 9 years old. Also the monitor power light goes off when it goes black. The light on the computer stays on but I have to unplug it to restart the system, just using the monitor button will not do it.

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I would say your monitor life span is just about up i don't think its a power supply.

LED monitors don't last as long as the Old school Big ones do.

10 years i think might be its limit it sounds.

Might want to save up some money to bye a new one.

There should be a setting on the Computer monitor that can tell you how many hours that it has be running.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Before spending any money, I would connect that monitor to another computer and see what happens. If the problem follows the monitor to the new computer, you know the problem is with the monitor, and not your graphics solution. You could also try a different monitor on your system, to verify the problem is not in your computer.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Proof of this statement other then speculation? LED technology itself has a far greater potential for a longer life span, then tube stuff.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds