Gateway MX6453 Audio device problems...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Morales2k, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Morales2k

Morales2k Private E-2

Hi,

I recently had to reinstall windows xp media center, and with that, somehow the devices lost the drivers. I say lost the drivers, because mysteriously the gateway restore cd does not have the drivers in them. I was able to find the ethernet drivers so i could connect to the Internet and the ATI gfx driver, but that is pretty much all i was able to find.

I am still missing the drivers for two devices, and the drivers I was able to find for the audio are not working at all... probably not compatible with my device or something, which is very strage because I got the driver from Gateway right after telling them my model number... they have this awesome list and everything... but no cigar for me.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer me here...

Here is my Everest report for the relevant areas:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

The report doesn't mention which Windows service pack you have installed. If you have service pack 2, then you'll need to download and install the Microsoft UAA high-definition audio update, known as KB888111. You can download it from this direct link. When that's done, download your sound driver from this link and install it. Restart the PC when the install is done and that should do it! If you have SP3, you'd simply skip installing the KB888111 update (it is not compatible with SP3 and won't install even if you try) and you'd just install the sound driver. Let us know how it goes... if you have problems or questions, feel free to post!
    :-D

3. Morales2k

Morales2k Private E-2

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I'm sorry I posted a lousy report, I am not too forum savvy... I see I can attach files so I added a full system summary... hopefully that gives more insight.

I downloaded the update you suggested. I do have XP media center SP2, however, I also had the devise already installed... so I uninstalled it... and reinstalled the drivers... rebooted, no sound yet.

I also have a Mass Storage Controller device with an exclamation mark, as well as a Network Controller... *shrug* I have no idea why windows did not install these things from the disk... I used the disk that Gateway supplied, however the backup partition was infected with some virus so I had to delete it it somehow wasnt read-only or the virus changed it or whatever... I know only that everytime I reloaded the OS from the backup partition (with all the drivers and bundle crapware) the virus came along too. Since this time I deleted the whole thing 100%... it is virus free so far, no strange behavior noticed... but I am missing drivers and when I have the OS search on the disk it finds nothing...

Attached Files:

4. Morales2k

Morales2k Private E-2

Sorry if im posting too frequently, but this is another development for the audio issue...

Apparently there is something with the driver versions... The link you gave me from gateway, which is the same driver I had already dloaded and used, says it is for version 5.10... of the sigmatel driver. However, after I run the driver's installer, I end up with the version 6.10 as per device manager properties... if that is correct or not, I am clueles, but I am under the impression that this 6.10 version was for Vista OS users... I will gladly stand corrected though.

Attached Files:

5. Morales2k

Morales2k Private E-2

Hello again.

I reinstalled the drivers choosing to do it by hand, and I found that doing it that way lets me choose which version to install.

However, installing the Gateway recommended version (5.10) still yields the same results... no sound. Whats more... there is an entry for Legacy Audio Drivers on the devices list, and when I see into the properties, there are no multimedia devices in the list. Options to disable this legacy audio entry are greyed out... Contrary to the sigmatel audio drivers entry that can be disabled and has multimedia devices attached to the properties list...

Am I getting onto something with this? I don't really know wth I should do...

Oh, and I am 100% certain that the hardware is fine. I have this laptop upgraded to 4gigs ram, and I am dualbooting Ubuntu 64-bit / xp media center. I have no audio issues what so ever on Ubuntu... but the windows installation is giving me hell... I am certainly wishing windows had the ease ubuntu has for these things... just run the updater and let the system take care of it... LOL... wishful thinking I guess...

6. Morales2k

Morales2k Private E-2

[SOLVED] Gateway MX6453 Audio device problems...

Look alive soldiers!

:major

I just solved the issue with the following driver...

THIS ONE RITE HERE!

I know Gateway says it isn't for my lappy, HOWEVER it worked. SO, all in all, I am happy because this one has much more control over my audio settings than the old one it previously had.

This one came with a nice equalizer software and its own volume control thing... prolly not better on memory consumption... but it does a better work for watching movies and/or playing music, which is what I want to use Media Center for anyways... (at least until I find something like TVersity for Ubuntu :confused)

Well... thanks for allowing me to log my issue here... at least it will serve others who relentlessly scan the web for solutions to this dilemma... which apparently happens a lot to a lot of users of this laptop model.

Well, this is it! I will make new threads for the other driver issues I have on this machine with windows...

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Glad to see you got this sorted out. I didn't mean to ignore you, but I am a busy man. Gateway is FAMOUS for having the wrong drivers, or corrupt drivers, or drivers that crash your PC, so I'm not surprised that you found a different driver at their site and got it working... but congratulations!
    :highfive

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds