Gateway series m laptop wireless problem With Ubuntu 10.04 lts installed.

Discussion in 'Software' started by onegoodman, Dec 30, 2011.

1. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

Here is the information on the system, and I installed a driver. It shows that it's present and working.. but it's not showing it the network.
    Thanks it advance for any help!!

2. onegoodman

I just tried backporting the system. That fail to make any results. Now I'm upgrading to 10.10 Hopefully it will fix the problem.

3. onegoodman

I just upgraded to 11.04, and still the same thing. I installed the Marvell drivers, and nothing.
    I might look at diffident distros that might be more compatible with this old laptop.

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

5. onegoodman

I have no problem with an ethernet connection. The wireless connection is the problem, so far I've tried about 8 different drivers for Marvell wireless cards. None of the drivers will load.

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  7. onegoodman

Thanks for your help ! I installed 32 bit seems to work better on the older computers. Oh ya !!! The wireless is working now :hyper

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

Since this is an older system, you should consider XFCE as a Windows Manager.

sudo apt-get install xubuntu

You can then switch at login by selecting session. It will run the Gnome dependant apps, but you use right or left click to open the menu. I have XFCE on my laptop and enjoy it. If you don't like it, you can always...

sudo apt-get remove xubuntu

:major

9. onegoodman

I'm configuring this computer, for someone that needs something easy to use. They did not want to pay for Microsoft upgrades after paying for all the problems over the years.
    This computer had Windows Vista on it, and kept failing to boot. After booting with a startup disk for Windows, I found that most of the system files were corrupt. Check all the hardware and everything seems fine no errors were found. So the rest is history.

Something I need to mention I need to add a script to the startup to automatically run modprobe ndiswrapper. After shutdown the network dose not load without it. After I'm done I 'll post all the steps that worked.

10. onegoodman

Here is all the steps to get the wireless working.
    First I had to install wine because the driver was an windows exe file. After opening the program, and the files i closed wine.
    1. opened the terminal
    2. entered in "cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/NETGEAR/WN511T/" to change the directory.
    3. sudo ndiswrapper -i NetMW14x.inf
    4. sudo ndiswrapper -a 11ab:2a08 netmw14x This came up with a warning just ignore it, and move on.
    5. sudo ndiswrapper -m
    6. sudo depmod -a
    7. sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

I had a problem with the wireless after reboot or shutdown. I had to run modprobe ndiswrapper in the terminal. I tried a script with just the modprobe ndiswrapper, but it didn't work this is what worked.

gksudo gedit /etc/init.d/wirelessfix.sh )

when the file pops up type in:

#!/bin/bash
    cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/NETGEAR/WN511T/
    sudo ndiswrapper -i NetMW14x.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -a 11ab:2a08 netmw14x
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

then save the file and go back into the terminal

cd /etc/init.d/

sudo chmod 755 wirelessfix.sh

sudo update-rc.d wirelessfix.sh defaults

Everyone have a Happy New Year !!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds