GeForce 210 HDMI issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jools1976, Feb 16, 2010.

1. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I have just installed an Nvidea GeForce 210 video card w/hdmi output. I am using VGA for my monitor and would like a secondary display on a TV. With just the VGA hooked up all is well, as soon as I hook up the HDMI and restart the computer won't boot up. Not even a POST. I should mention too, I don't get any video on the tv when I hook the HDMI up to the computer while it's still running. I figured it would pick up the TV after the restart. I'm using Windows 7. Thanks.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I believe on most cards the VGA port uses the same signal as the HDMI. Try using a DVI to VGA adapter if one was supplied.

3. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

The monitor actually has a DVI input as well as VGA, so I've switched to a DVI cable, but still the same thing. Another thing I've noticed is that if the TV is turned off, even if the HDMI is still plugged in, everthing boots up fine.

4. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Here's another update. It turns out that although the screen looked blank (black) it wasn't. I moved my mouse and it came up from underneath. I could bring my mouse off the creen from the left right or bottom. I typed my windows login and got the monitor up. Now... The Nvidia control panel is picking up the HDMI now, but no matter what I try I can't get anything on the TV. In the 'HDCP Status' window it's telling me that my display does not support HDCP. Does this mean I can't use an HDMI cable with this TV?

5. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Alright... got it working. You ready for it? HDMI cable into the TV wasn't seated properly. Man have I got egg on my face. Although the video settings were a little screwed up too....lol

6. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

K... next issue. Everything is up and going. Looks alright. The only thing is that the desktop display on the TV is a little too big so it's cutting off the borders. There's a resize option in the Nvidia control panel, which has 4 arrows in each corner that you can adjust with slide bars to change your desktop. I change it, but after clicking OK the setting don't apply. Anybody ever come across this? I've also messed around with different resolutions but can't get one that works for me. Thanks.

7. Xivray

Xivray Private E-2

I have the NVidia Geforce 210S with VGA/HDMI/DVI outputs and I have come to learn that when using VGA/HDMI outputs or even VGA/DVI outputs the boot screen will allways be located on the device that is connected to the graphics card via the VGA output. Once Windows loads completly both displays should work. I have my TV on HDMI and a smaller monitor on VGA. When I reboot my PC, the boot information is on the smaller screen eventhough my TV is the primary display in Windows. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium

8. Xivray

Xivray Private E-2

I am using the Geforce 210S as well and I can use the VGA and HDMI outputs at the same time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds