Geforce fx 5200 with NO Direct3D support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Justyn, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Justyn

Justyn Private E-2

P4 2.66 ghz
    512 MB RAM
    Geforce fx 5200

OK, here's the deal. I installed the Geforce, and then when none of the games would run or anything, I ran DirectX Diagnostic Tool and on the Display tab, I got this error message: "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer." I've tried at least the last 5-6 driver versions from Nvidia, and they all give me the same error message. In fact, all of the buttons on that tab of the Dxdiag tool are grayed out except for "Test DirectDraw", which works.

I'm just home from school at my parents house (oh, what a joy) and wanting to play World of Warcraft on their computer to help the time go by just a little less painfully, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help!

2. tricemierius

tricemierius Private E-2

I had a 5200 and had issues with newer drivers

if ya got Win 98 try the 4x.xx drivers Here
    I had the best luck with the 45.23's

if Win XP is what you got try the 40 series drivers here
    the newest ones probably the 45.33's

make sure you uninstall any previous drivers through add/remove programs in the control panel

also make sure you have the latest directX 9.0c this can be found here

3. Justyn

Justyn Private E-2

Hey, thanks for the quick reply,

I am running Windows XP, and I tried the 45.33 drivers with no luck. In fact, when I run Dxdiag now, I get the following message: "The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer" and it doesn't even list any info under the box labelled Device. The Name entry is blank, and Manufacturer, Chip type, DAC type, and Approx. total memory are all marked n/a.

This is pretty weird considering that I installed the drivers correctly, using add/remove programs to remove the nvidia drivers before trying to install the older versions.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

4. tricemierius

tricemierius Private E-2

what motherboard you got? if not sure try Everest
    you may need to upgrade your motherboard chipset drivers.
    can I assume it is an AGP video card?
    also did you try the latest directX?
    also b4 you installed that video card did it used to have another video card or was it onboard video as it may need to be disabled in bios

5. Justyn

Justyn Private E-2

I have an Asus P4PE-X motherboard in here, but just to be sure, I downloaded Everest and here's what it gave me:

Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID 05/01/2003-I845PE/ICH4/IT8708-P4PE-X
    Motherboard Name Asus P4PE-X

I can't seem to find any chipset drivers for it, d'you think you could run a link by me and see if that works? Are chipset drivers the same thing as the BIOS? Because I did find BIOS drivers here (3rd one down): http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4PE-X

I am running DirectX 9.0c, which is, I believe, the latest available.
    You're correct in assuming it's an AGP video card.

The motherboard doesn't have any on-board video, This is the only card that's been in the computer. (My parents didn't notice anything wrong with it, etc., because, well, they're not into high-powered computer games.)

And the computer wasn't bought from HP or anything, I ordered the parts myself and put it together, with recommendations from a friend who's clueless about why there's a problem with it.

6. tricemierius

tricemierius Private E-2

its the "Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V5.02.1003."
    the 8th one on the list

thats a start any way as cant hurt to install that, also will be on the disk that came with your motherboard,although these would probably be the best

7. Justyn

Justyn Private E-2

WOOHOO!

Thanks a LOT! The updated chipset together with the newest drivers available from NVidia made everything work like it's supposed to!

Thanks again for all your help!

8. tricemierius

tricemierius Private E-2

Your welcome, Glad we could help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds