GeForce FX 5500 Overclocked

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ozorowsky, Oct 23, 2004.

1. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

what do you guys think of this card? I paid $150 at best buy. Searching ebay now is this a good card? I like nvidia. Want to stick with them. Don't know what latest and greatest for video cards is. Please let me know thanks.

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

5500? i think you just got stiffed. If your a gamer anything below 5700 is really subpar. (ati side its a 9600pro/xt) Dont but anything thats LE/SE when choosing a vid card. Also you get for what you pay for. most cards that are below 200$ are ussaly main stream models really.

3. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

also how does this compare to my current card? (Geforce 4 ti4200) 128MB??? thanks in advance.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Im sure its a bit better then a ti4200; but your card sounds like an underclocked 5600 with the name of "5500 oc'd". If your looking to get a card, online prices ussaly outweight the store prices by a good margin. I personally reccomend Frys Outpost ; Newegg ; Or Monarch computers. (just google em).

5. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

what is wrong with a LE card guys?

6. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

I have a 5200FX and it works great. I've played doom3, halo, far cry, and more on it. it works great. not sure about overclocking but its great. so 5500 should be far more than enough

7. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

LE cards are very slow underclocked versions of the normal cards; IE 5200FX = the normal card; LE is an underclockedversion of it; so it sells for cheaper and its performance is alot lower then what the normal version brings you.

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

5200 is a mainstream card; if you want to put any details in those games youll card will be choking out and wont even throw 15FPS. theyre weights for anyone beyond enthusiasts.

9. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Then how come I can set the graphics so high when i play those games and it plays fine for me? I haven't had a lag problem at all except for doom 3.

10. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

what is wrong with a 5500? You think I should go with a 5700? I have over a gig of ram, Pentium 4 2.2ghz processor. Everything runs pretty good now this is just an upgrade. Currently running a Geforece4ti4200 card and things are good.

11. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

I am looking at some 128MB 5700's. How is it poss for a 128MB 5700 to outperform a 256MB 5500???

12. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

you guys think the 5700 Ultra card is that much better? Framerates are looking better in reviews.

13. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Sorry had to go away; 5700U is maybe a 15% improvement over the standard 5700; price wise im not sure what your looking at you need to consider how much better does it get vs how much more cash your dishing out. 128mb for that card is fine. Getting a 256MB version of it will get you no real performance gain since that type of card will not really require/use it.

14. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Memory doesnt make a card better even though companies take abuse of this asumption. The core in a 5500 vs the core in a 5700 is no compare; a 5700 is much more advanced then anything below it, having ultra shadows and such things like that. Give me an idea how much your looking to spend and i can give you an idea what your best bet is.

15. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

What do you call high setting high graphics? 1000x700 with medium settings and no shadows? Be aware that high system performance also reduces the need for such a high video card unless your a serious hardcore gamer or you want the best out of your system.

16. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i hear the 6800(probably a low end version) will be 200$ in a few months so if you already bought a 5500 you might as well wait

17. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

so your saying the 5700 is worth it? I'm looking about $150.00

18. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Well for a few dollars more you could have a GeForce FX 5900XT, while having a slower clock speed than the 5700Ultra, it's still a better card.

I have one of these on it's way to me right now. The Ti4200 I've been using quit on me a couple days ago. :(

19. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

for 150$ i would go with a 9600pro or XT; 200$ i would go for a 5900XT as mentioned

20. ozorowsky

ozorowsky Corporal

what do you think of the 5900XT Ultra? How about SE? Please lmk thanks.

21. Wazzakustos

Wazzakustos Private E-2

I need help please. My girlfriend and I play EQ and 2 days ago her voodoo banshee finally gave up the ghost. It was 16MB and we went down to Staples and the guy said the Geforce FX 5500 oc was a good gaming card...I'm not very good with the technicalities of video cards so I had the Staples guy install it as well. The pc is an AMD Athlon 801 Mhz with 640 RAM...and the fella installed drivers from the disc. After re-connecting everything , it was time to test drive the new card. EQ has a patch that loads you into the game after a file check...this looked very promising as the display appeared quite vibrant....as soon as it was patched thru the monitor went completely red with a barely distinguishable outline of what should be there. Uncool. A few friends had me uninstall the game...uninstall the drivers..then reinstall drivers first then the game...same red screen. Uncool. Went to EQ website and DL'd newest nvidia driver...same red screen. Uncool. I have also went to windows update to check for driver updates...rolled back driver in device manager...and am thinking of taking it back to Staples and getting a Radeon 9500...is there any chance of fixing this?

22. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I had an xfx 5700 and farcry ran slow even with everything turned down also doom 3 sucked this with an xp1900+ :confused: I really must have high hopes when it comes to gfx cards or everyone else runs stuff at 640-480 with all the detail turned down! :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds