General Computer issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kion, May 30, 2009.

1. Kion

Kion Private E-2

Part of this may belong is hardware but I really don't know so I figured I’d just take a stab. I’ve been having occasional issues with my internet browsers. Sometimes while I’m on IE8 or Chrome my browser locks up and won’t do anything. I usually try closing it and ccleaning but it won’t fully clean because chrome likes to stick around in the processes. I’ve tried logging in and logging out and even hibernating as well as a bunch of other things but it still will not allow the browser to work. The only way to fix the problem is to restart my computer but sometimes it freezes on shutdown. When this problem occurs my computer is otherwise fine, the memory isn’t burdened and I can play games my browser just doesn’t work. I came on here and went though the malware cleaning processes with majorgeeks' esteemed Kestrel and she said the log is clean but the problem still persists.

Another issue is that my laptop sometimes cuts off when I play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. This can be solved when I put my external fan under it but the game still lags quite a bit. Also my notebook will cut off even with the external fan while playing Titan Quest.

General issues: Browser locks up; Laptop cuts off during certain games

Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T9600 @2.80GHz, 4.00GB, 32-bit Vista Home Premium Service pack 2, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT. notebook

Often used Miscellaneous Programs: Various Games, Skype, Ccleaner, Defraggler, GameBooster (added recently.

Security: Avast, Zone Alarm, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Okay, the cooling fan you said about in your post suggests to me that your notebook is overheating.

Please run speedfan and post your temperatures here whilst you are:

1. Not using the computer, but it is on (idle)
    2. When in a game, and when you have been in the game for about 10 minutes.
    3. When using your browser.

hopefully the temperatures should be able to tell us if the notebook is overheating.

BTW, how old is the laptop?

Also, do the games still cut out if you remove gamebooster?

3. Kion

Kion Private E-2

Domluc im going to try what your saying but the problem preceeds Chrome for IE8 also hangs.

CollinsL im trying your suggestion now. the comp cuts off durring those games whether or not im using gamebooster. I also agree that it is an overheat issue but i think the browser and the heating are two distinct problems. Also its worth noting that when the computer cuts off somtimes the resolution changes.

4. Kion

Kion Private E-2

also the laptop is about a year old

5. Kion

Kion Private E-2

I did this while using my external fan which i allways use with games. Also its worth noting that it takes about 3 hrs to cut off and it doesnt cut off with my highest end game Crysis. I tested this with the game my computer most frequently cuts off with and which gets my computer the hottest, titan quest. I tested each for 10 minutes and shut down the computer for 10 minutes between tests. the browser i checked while sitting idily on pages and while loading slower pages.

Idle-- GPU: 56c, HD0: 35c, Core 0:41c, Core:41c

Game (TQ Gold)-- GPU: 96c, HD0: 35c, Core0: 65c, Core1: 65c

Browser (with YIM and Skype running)-- GPU: 58c, HD0: 34c, Core0: 46 to 58, Core1: 45 to 58

6. Kion

Kion Private E-2

Dom luc i tried your suggestion last night but my browser just locked up a few minutes ago and i had to improperly shut down so your solution didnt work. i also looked for the service and it wasnt where it should have been so im pretty sure it was not installed

7. Kion

Kion Private E-2

i think the cutting off might be hard ware like an overheat issue but i think the browser getting stuck is a software issue. and i did what you siad i put it into safemode and crap cleaned. i also tried to delete the updater service as you mentioned you did on your computer but i dont think it was ever instaled.

but yea the problem preceeded chrome so i didnt think it would help i just figured i would try for kix. thanks though.

i really wish that other guy would get back to me because i really dont know what to do with the temperatures he had me post...

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

96 Degrees is WAY too hot! In fact, this is hot enough to do some serious damage to the chip.

How old is the computer?

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to collins
    About 1 year old (post 5)

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sorry, I didn't see that.

Anyway, are you sure the built in laptop fan is working? Can you feel hot aur being pushed out of the vents?

Have you attempted to clean the fan before?

11. Kion

Kion Private E-2

i dont know i can kinda feel the air being push... i dont know i have never checked it. hardware wize especially with laptops im a complete noob. im only half non noob for software because of games. its also worth noting that the GPU and both cores reach around 86 when i play guild wars. but that game never overheats.

12. Kion

Kion Private E-2

i set it to "show hidden files and folders" the rest you have to break down for me in more simple and detailed terms... what exactly do you want me to delete and where can i find it. I tried searching for some of the files u mentioned but they would not come up

13. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Holy bajesus! 96 degrees!! sounds like a car running on Nitrous Oxide! ... it might need a bit of a clean out ... although if you haven't done it before I WOULD NOT recommend you doing it ... take it to a Professional ... pulling apart and piecing together a laptop can be absolutely *** busting ... not to mention catastrophic to the laptop if done wrong ...

14. Kion

Kion Private E-2

yes... and i went there but but all i found was two folders named application and user data. when i search deeper into them i can find nothing that you mentioned

15. Kion

Kion Private E-2

lol im going to have to see if my warrenty is still in effect and i guess ill call my computer friends for help

16. Kion

Kion Private E-2

Heyy ppl im back. so i sent in my laptop to have the dealers fix it. they replaced the screen. They also did some kind of graphics stress test which revealed that my computer was running normally... yes supposedly 96 degrees is normal... They had me reinstall the operating system to fix the browser problem and that seemed to do the trick.

Everything has been fine until recently, now the laptop has started overheating and shutting down while im playing COD4 and it is increasing in frequency. which tends to make me think they were lying when they said 96 degrees celcius is normal... Additionally, often times on start up the resolution seems to go back to basic zoomed in mode without windows aero. Aside from the fact that i have to annoyingly reset it this is not a big deal; however, with the overheating it makes me think that my graphics card is slowly dying... Any ideas?:(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds