general data storage question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr 604753, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Mr 604753

Mr 604753 Private E-2

ok so i have two drives, one solely for songs and pictures.
    I was told by the guy who helped me, just as advice to put programs and stuff into a seperate drive so windows can do its own thing so it runs faster or better, i forget exactly.

Needless to say, D drive is just for my music and pics, but if i start putting programs like AIM and stuff in there it will make its own program files and still be able to run normally correct?

Sorry for such a stupid question, im relatively new to all this and getting the hang of it,
    Im going to be installing antivirus and several other programs i need so im just asking if its ok to put them in the D drive that we made for my own files.

thanks for your time

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Windows can access D drive but it wont run anything, thats why your friend told you to use it for storage, windows wont 'run' anything thats not on the same partition as the OS [operating system] as in programs, browsers etc. Your antivirus and any program you want to run has to be on C. ED

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

No, that's what was said; read his post again. The advise given by his friend was that putting programs on D is OK. Here's the wordage where that was stated:
    That's also incorrect. Yes, some Microsoft programs which are tightly integrated with the OS, such as Internet Explorer, need to be the same drive as the OS, but many other programs can be installed on some other partition or drive. As long as the path to the desired location is specified during installation so that Windows registry knows where the program files have been installed, it will work.

Yes. However, I don't endorse it with enthusiasm. I don't think you're going to see the performance benefit your friend alludes to.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Windows will run applications from other partitions and drives, not the core windows applications like mentioned above, but if the installer of an application allows you to change the default install location you can do, I run my Antivirus and a few other applications off my E: drive

MS Office allows you to install it on a different drive.

I agree with usafveteran, in that its not likely you will see any great performance gain in putting at these applications on a different drive, its been said that putting your swapfile on a different fash HD increases performance a little, but always should leave a minimal amount on C: BUT in this day and age of fast HDs and Ram this doesnt really add much.

I generally do exactly what you have already done, pop the OS and all applications onto C: and keep all my saved data, music, pictures, docs on seperate HDs namely D: and E:

5. Mr 604753

Mr 604753 Private E-2

thanks guys!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds