General Game Stuttering

Discussion in 'Software' started by titanium69, Jun 3, 2009.

1. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

my games have been jamming every few seconds(from every 3 to 10seconds) irrespective of which game i load, sometime it jams and i just have to restart PC. New gamess to old ones my PC should have handled nicely, they sent me here after putting me through the basics in the software section

XP SP3
    E6600
    2gb ram corsair
    7900 gtx(forget manufacture)
    GA-965P-DS3 (mobo - brand> Gigabyte)
    PSU - Tagan something
    HDD > 2 partitions, 68.3gb and 164 gb

AFAIK nothing overclocked.
    PC is very well maintained(defrag, ccleaner etc... & physically > dust, cleaning air filter)

2. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

right now i`m getting artifacts and the game almost completely jams after 20econds

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

well, a few things come to mind...First, you will want to check your temps (cpu and gpu) and make sure you aren't overheating. Hwmonitor is a good program for this. Open the program, and then run a game for a few to get things going, 10-20 minutes should do. http://majorgeeks.com/HWMonitor_d5842.html

2nd, get memtest and run it for a while to check out your RAM and make sure that's not the culprit. http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

3rd , you'll want to properly uninstall your video drivers and reinstall them new. download driver sweeper, run the program, restart, run it again, reboot again, then reinstall the drivers...If you get any prompts to choose the correct driver on boot up the 1st and 2nd reboot, hit cancel.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html

4. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

with the side panel open and a small fan point in i got around
    66degres max for gpu, that was after 5-10mins gaming, graphics were slightly on the low side.
    i was able to play without much problems WITH THE seperate FAN.
    if i take off the fan i think temp will go MUCH HIGHER

what do you think? i think its a temp problem.

Edit> Got a max of 68 right now

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

that's was my first inclination...

have you tried it without the fan?

6. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

i tried a different game* and it wasnt as resource heavy as rainbow six vegas (1)
    i tried it without the fan but i still left the side panel off.
    a max temp of 69 was reached.

*maybe you might knowit, i tried arma 2 (looked like grfx where on medium >low) and i did a test run by simply going to the game armoury [where all weapons, tanks etc.. are] and you can "try" them out where it will just load the scenery land etc... and your guy,tank,plane etc... and you kind of free roam

what do you think?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds