General Question Regarding Malware Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

When I run an anti-malware software application to check that my computer is free from malware I do the following:

1. I turn off the screensaver;

2. I disconnect the computer from the Internet;

3. I close all other programmes.

While the anti-malware application runs I do not use the computer for anything else. Obviously, this means I cannot use my computer during this time.

I would like to ask:

1. is it necessary to do the three things I've listed above;

2. would anyone recommend that I should be doing anything else;

3. do I need to leave the computer to get on with running the malware scan or can I still use the computer while this is happening?

I always thought that you should not do anything else while an anti-malware software application was running; however, I have noted in one of my programmes that you can opt to allow the application maximum access to the computer's resources but it warns that if you select that option anything else will be affected. This made me wonder whether you can continue to use your computer while running an anti-malware scan.

I know that the guides on here recommend leaving them to run and do nothing else. But, that seems to be if you know or believe your computer is infected. I'm asking about doing a routine scan about once a fortnight to check everything is OK.

2. Texan

Texan Private First Class

I do not work here but I doubt anyone would disagree with what I write here:
    Screensavers are unnecessary these days but to address that and your other questions. You can stay connected to the internet, use your computer and run a screensaver while your malware scanner runs.

mark59, I would like to know what antivirus, firewall and anti-malware you are using.
    The 2 free antivirus programs I recommend are:
    Avira
    Avast
    (Just one - never two)
    The 2 paid antivirus I recommend is:
    Kaspersky
    F-Secure

I recommend you run the free version of these once a week:
    SpywareBlaster:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpywareBlaster_d2859.html
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
    SpyBot-Search & Destroy:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_Tools_d2471.html
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SUPERAntiSpyware_Free_d5116.html

I recommend you also use WinPatrol:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinPatrol_d3380.html
    and Web of Trust:
    There is a version for each browser so search majorgeeks.com for WOT and pick your browser's version
    I do not recommend Internet Explorer as our default browser. Use Opera, Firefox or Chrome.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I was not aware of that fact. Why aren't they required any longer?

I use avast antivirus 7.0 as my antivirus programme. My firewall software is Outpost Security Suite 7.1 Free. I do not use any paid antivirus or firewall.

I use SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SUPERAntispyware.

I am happy to use these programmes but can you please say why you recommend them?

Thanks!

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Newer monitors tend not to suffer from "burn in" that screensavers would prevent, how ever, i wouldn't say not to use them as its still very possible if you have an older monitor to have issues with "burn in". Also, screensavers can be set to have a password to resume from them back to windows, which can help protect you/your data. The reason people tend to stop using there computer during scans is it can greatly slow a computer down. Newer machines with more power/ram seem to be less effected by that slow down. If i know its a quick scan i will continue to use my pc during it.

5. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

On screensavers:
    http://www.interrupt19.com/2009/01/05/get-rid-of-your-screen-saver/

Seems that they may do more good on CRT monitors than LCD screens...

I haven't used a screensaver in years, although I did play with the matrix ones a bit. I recall, as Colemanguy said, that folks were of a consensus that the newer generation of monitors didn't burn in like the first ones we all had...

6. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I also try to do virus and malware removal in Safe Mode (without networking) if the software will allow it (Malware Bytes does).

My thought is that since Safe Mode loads only the basic files needed for the PC to function, there is less of a chance the virus/malware will be actively running in the background when I try to remove it.

7. Texan

SpyBot-Search & Destroy finds some things the other simply do not. It also has an immunization feature unlike the others.

WinPatrol alerts you when a program attempts to start-up everytime you boot. It can warn you of BHOs as well. (Spyware Guard also does this.)

Web of Trust will warn you before you go to a website that will give you a virus, rip you off, is a phishing website, etc. So, if you go to a a bad site, it prevents and cookies, malicious active x and other scripts from infecting you. You can still choose to go there anyway but it will warn you. If it's a site that is known for ripping off people it can warn you of their scam or poor customer service.
    More malware comes from simply visiting a site than any other means so WOT is a must in my opinion.

8. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

The malware removal guide here on Majorgeeks recommends that malware removal is done in normal mode.

I don't know why you use safe mode and I don't know why the malware removal guide recommends normal mode. Is it possible that in safe mode some malware could be missed?

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Web of trust is meh at best, because any user can down rate a site, and there has been times when mg's has even had users rate it poorly because of lack of knowledge/or other issues that "taint" a rating. Just take it with a grain of salt as they say if you use web of trust.

10. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

An interesting point you make. If individual users are able to rate a web site with this application then there can be all sorts of "false" reports about web sites.

11. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

When I responded to your first post in this thread I forgot to add in my answer: I use Firefox. I haven't used IE for years.

12. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Safe mode limits the things that start up, thus some malware processes might simply not be started in safe mode, is my guess as to way normal mode is recommended, same reason the malware time doesn't want people using msconfig to disable startup items i believe.

13. Texan

Just because malware is active doesn't mean it won't be found. If it can't be removed do to it actively running, most anti-malware programs can unlock the files, if not, the anti-malware will report something like this: 'Some infections could not be remove. You must reboot for these to be fully removed. Would you like to reboot now?'
    When you reboot, the anti-malware removes the file before it is used.

I don't know if safe mode makes it more difficult to find malware but one method looks for suspicious activity. There are bad file disguised as good file but act badly. A cop finds some criminals by looking for the bad guy but many are caught because they are behaving badly. (an analogy for two different ways malware is caught.

Anytime you count on users to contribute to better a product you wind up with some bias but it takes a lot of bad reviews to create a red light for a site. e.g. I had to replace a windshield due to hail damage. I got a great deal but they sold my cell phone number to spammers and I began to get text spam about deals on trucks. I used WOT to reate the site as unethical practice and wrote, 'Great prices on windshields but don't give them your cellphone number, here is why.... When you go to that site, it doesn't block it but you can click on the WOT icon and read what I wrote.
    A great example: Some maniac figured out the most common misspelling of google and bought that domain (something like gogle or gogggle) When people wen to that site, their computer would reboot and reboot and reboot. There is no way to boot into safe mode or any other option to rid the infection. The infected computer must be re-imaged. WOT prevents this. Try it. If you don't like it, remove it but it may save your computer.

14. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Ah but its the internet, i can easy create 1000's of accounts to downrate/complain about a site if i get pissed, id like chaslang or one of the malware people to talk more about it, but lots here dont use wot anymore. I never did like it but thats me.

15. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Downloaded and installed WOT. Obviously, only been using it for several days but it's not "interferred" with my browsing. It has warned me about one site which I knew was safe to use. Early verdict: good it runs in background without constantly giving me warnings. It may err on the side of being too cautious.

16. Texan

You can click on the Green, Yellow or Red circle to view ratings and comments. If you like and trust the site you can rate and review it.

Trust me. You will love WOT. Just remember it is user based but the really bad sites are blocked and will protect you! :)

17. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I don't know if I'll love it. There's very little interaction between us. What I'll be looking out for is if it causes me any problems.

18. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I use WOT on Fx. WOT will not cause you any problems. I agree with Colemanguy, its ratings are user generated. For me it is just an indicator. My Call after that. PERIOD.

mark59, you've made two posts in Malware Removal, since you joined MGs. Logs were clean. :) You are doing good. :clap

Remember no security program or suite, even THE best rated on any AV comparative site can't keep you from getting infected. It's all down to computing habits.

If you have the time, peruse through the Malware forums on MGs. Each and every known security app has be compromised, to my knowledge.

Cheers..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds