Generic Card Reader Drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by flankadank, Feb 3, 2010.

1. flankadank

flankadank Private First Class

Can anyone recommend a site to get drivers for a generic 12-in-one card reader for Windows 7?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

"generic" no, there should be some sort of logo or label on the device so we can tell the brand. If you can't see anything, can you find a picture of it, perhaps where it was purchased?
    Is this internal or connected through a USB port?

3. flankadank

I will dig around inside the machine tonight to see if I can see some sort of identifying mark or sticker. I bought the machine from Ibuypower a couple of years ago and when I called them they told me it was a generic card.

Will post a follow up. Thanks so far : )

4. flankadank

Sorry to take so long to get back to this...I pulled out the card reader tonight, and to my dismay, it had NO markings on it whatsoever, aside from what is on the front panel "card reader/writer" and the slot markings: usb, cf/md, sm/xd, ms/mspro, and sd/mmc.

I'd rather not have to buy a new reader, but sounds like I may have to. I'm holding out hope that one of the technical geniuses on this site may still be able to direct me somewhere to find some workable drivers.

5. plodr

You never mentioned the brand and model of computer that this card reader is installed in. Sometimes searching for the manual gives the specs of all the hardware.
    What OS came installed on the computer?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Nothing on it like a FCC number?

In Device Manager do you haev any yellow ! marks, if so by what? did you when you installed Win7 did you do an update from a previous Windows version, if so what or did you clean install? did you also install the Windows 7 chipset drivers for your PC/Motherboard?

Do also answer plodr's question as well as this could link to help, the below log can help too

7. flankadank

It's an ibuypower pc. No identifying marks at all (silver case with front panel) aside from those I mentioned which are on the front panel.

8. plodr

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibppages/CustConfig.aspx
    Intel or AMD CPU?

You might be able to call Technical Support Hours
    Mon - Fri: 8:30am - 5:00pm PST
    Toll Free: (888) 618-6040
    and ask what the card reader is or even get them to email you a driver for it.

9. flankadank

One of the first things I did was to call ibuypower and they told me it was a "generic" reader. Their site doesn't have drivers for the card readers. Oh well, might have to buy a new one. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive multi-card reader?

10. jcksn

jcksn Private E-2

11. flankadank

Actually, Windows 7 doesn't see the reader at all. When I got the computer, it had Vista on it and the card reader showed up as different drives (one for each card slot). After I installed an additional internal hard drive, they disappeared. Now, I have Windows 7 installed and they don't appear. Just need the software, but it seems to be like the holy grail.

12. rachelstar

rachelstar Private E-2

hi everyone out there my pc keeps coming up with this "generic host process for win 32 services encountered a problem"

Im new to this dont know where i am or what im doin online .... but with my pc i kinda got myself onto you guys and thought you maybe able2 help me! im a single mum tryin to fix me computer! got the courage i think :S need help!"

ive never done anything like this forum stuff before so please be kind :S

13. plodr

Welcome rachelstar.
    Start here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    and click the New Thread button near the top on the left.
    The Majors like everyone to have his/her own thread for a problem and not tack a problem on to someone else's thread.

When you post the problem, it is always good to mention what version of windows you run, along with the service pack (SP) you are running. If you do not know, right click My Computer and click Properties. The first screen will show windows, SP and RAM installed.
    Also mention when the error seems to appaer (are you running a particular program or does it just randomly pop up). About how long has this been happening? Have you installed or uninstalled any programs lately?

I think that's it for now. As people help, they might ask for more information.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds