Generic Host Process Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by hitman02, Oct 13, 2006.

1. hitman02

hitman02 Private E-2

Hi, I recently had to replace my motherboard and cpu, in doing so I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Window XP Pro with SP2. I have upgraded all my drivers and everything was working fine until today I got an error message "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" has cuased an error and needs to shut down. I then lose my internet connection even though it shows that I am still connected. I can only restart my computer to be able to access anything. My system performed and virus scan thismorning before this all happened. I use AVG free edition with the lastest update. I was hopin someone could help with this very frustrating problem.

Thank you

Hitman

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Hi and welcome to Major Geeks. Someone here should be able to help, if I can't, due to my craving of CIV4: Warlords....

Click START, then RUN, then type in: msconfig (press enter).
    Click the radial button "selective startup".
    Uncheck "Load startup Items".

Press OK. Yes to reboot. Does it work now? If so, then you have a item that is loading that is causing you issues.

If not, go back into msconfig and click the services tab. Click the box "Hide MS services", then click the button uncheck all. Press ok, then yes to reboot. Still having issues?

Note, this is a temp fix only. One needs to narrow down what is causing your issue. Also, if you can't do this in normal mode, you need to do this in safe mode.

3. hitman02

hitman02 Private E-2

Hi theefool, that seems to have fixed the problem it hasn't happened since doing what you suggested. Now I guess it will be a process of trying to find the program that is causing the problem any hints.

Thanks

Hitman

4. happyrock

happyrock Private E-2

enable a couple at a time until the problem reappears

5. whomper

whomper Private E-2

I've had exactly the same problem, tried MS solution of installing a hotfix. But that didn't work -- the hotfix is supposed to replace some DLLs with newer versions, but it doesn't seem to actually install the newer versions!

My problem started a few months ago, with no apparent cause. The crashes are intermittant and not predictable, except only when I'm online (via dialup). It seems to be something messing with the TCP/IP svchost.exe.

I used the hotfix WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-ENU.exe package, which says that the problem is actually from the previous boot, etc. However, it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Actually, that particular hotfix doesn't seem to be designed for this specific problem, but the KB search reveals no exact problem like this!

I'm wondering if it's a sign of some sort of attempted hijack?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

whomper, two choices: start a new thread with your problem (never good to add your problem to a thread even if it is the same problem and not good to dredge up a 2 1/2 year old thread unless you have a solution) OR if you suspect malware, post here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds