generic host process for win32 has encountered a problem and must close

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmanpilkers, Dec 9, 2010.

1. kmanpilkers

kmanpilkers Private E-2

Hi All,

A colleague's laptop is throwing this error in Windows XP (SP3) -

with the extra detail:

I notice all the other threads relating to this on the forums here suggest or point to the problem being a malware one, and suggest doing a scan. My colleague has been getting the error for a few months, and it seems to only be when the laptop is idle, and he'll come back to it and the problem has occurred then. I have reinstalled Win XP for him (completely re-formatted hard disk and did a clean install) and the problem persists. We have done a malware scan and it came up clean so I'm fairly confident this is not causing the problem. Has anyone else come across this in the past? I gather that this error could be caused by quite a few different things.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Kev :cool

2. kmanpilkers

kmanpilkers Private E-2

Sorry, should have added the following:

The network connection usually stops working shortly after receiving the error, and then after that Windows fully locks up and a forced power off is necessary. The behaviour after the error can vary slightly though.

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds