Generic / Text Only Printer output has extra CR/LF characters

Discussion in 'Software' started by eljainc, Apr 27, 2011.

1. eljainc

eljainc Private E-2

Hello,

We have a report that was generated from a WinXP machine, using the Generic / Text Only printer driver. It is sent to a file by using FILE: as the port. When examining the contents of the report, it is noticed that some graphics characters are embedded in different places throughout the document. On closer examination they are Carriage Return
    (CR) and Line Feed (LF) followed by spaces. We have tried to examine this file for a pattern of these characters.

What might be causing this behavior? How can it be made so that these characters do not appear in the file?

Is there another similar printer driver in WinXP that has just generic ASCII text output?

Thanks
    Mike

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I have a suspicion that in ASCII text outputs to a file, the CR and LF codes are printed with no option to disable as the basic driver has no options.

I played around a bit with some other print drivers (on install choose the printer as Print to File) and found none that would give any readable text from a file, I did re-install the MS generic Print to File driver and looked at the properties, and while this worked for me don't know if it will for you, was that I had an option for Fonts, so I changed to United States 437 font and the resulting file when opened in notepad had no CR or LF marks.

Now this maybe due to me running Windows 7, have not had a chance to test in WinXP yet, but check out the Printer Preferences.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds