get blue screen on bootup

Discussion in 'Software' started by MikeF15334, Jun 10, 2009.

1. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

On booting up my friends laptop i get the hp windows blue school. Windows says its applying settings but doesnt do anything and have blue hp backroun. Any ideas how to fix this besides reformatting it

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm.... pretty vague and ambiguous.... So, this is what I got from the above post:
    You're trying to boot Windows XP (I'm guessing on this one). Windows starts to boot. It gets to the Welcome screen and a user name is selected, a password is entered if needed. Windows starts loading the user's configuration and starts "applying settings". The HP wallpaper appears. Then that's it. Right?

Try this: start the Task Manager (press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time); click "File"; select "New Task (Run)"; type explorer.exe and press Enter. Wait a bit and see if the icons, taskbar, Start button, and desktop appear. If so, try a System Restore to a date before the problems started. If running 'explorer.exe' from the Task Manager doesn't work, try typing %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe instead of 'explorer.exe' and see if that opens the System Restore UI. If you do get to the desktop, you should SERIOUSLY consider running some malware scans; follow the steps in this thread.

If I'm way off base with the above info, please provide some detailed info (like which version of Windows you're using) and please tell us exactly what's going on. Have you tried F8 > Last Known Good Configuration? Or maybe Safe Mode?

3. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

when pc boots up goes through xp motions then gets to windows part where applying computer settings which normally we use novell client to sign on but it never gets to the novell client just the blue hp wall paper where it hangs there

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK- try the things I just suggested and see what happens....

5. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

problem is when i hit control alt delete nothing happens because i am waiting for the logon screen for username and password. I went into the bios to do a hard drive test and waiting for the result of that. Should i try booting to safe mode and do a system restore.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK... so it doesn't get as far as the login screen... this is what I meant by "more details".

Absolutely. However you should try booting with "Last Known Good Configuration" first just to see if it works....

7. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

If i dont plug the power supply to the laptop reboot eventually the logon screen will come on, from there i was able to update the bios, defrag and ran malware scan. After reboot with these changes still no logon screen with power plugged in

8. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Thats a wierd one dlb???

Shouldn't be a voltage/wattage issue as the battery should regulate that ... corrupt battery drivers possibly?

9. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

Uninstalled novell client and everything seemed to be working fine after that

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds