Get Booted whenever I Access Game Sites

Discussion in 'Software' started by ShaynaMae, May 17, 2009.

1. ShaynaMae

ShaynaMae Private E-2

The minute I open a game site such as Pogo I get booted right back to my desktop. I have reinstalled Java and have the latest but this isn't working. Any suggestions? It is not just Pogo - it's any game site.:cry

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

First off, Welcome to Major Geeks.
    What type of machine and what are your specs?

3. ShaynaMae

ShaynaMae Private E-2

Thank you for the welcome. I am using Gateway Intel with Windows XP. I connect via DSL/Broadband. By specs I guess you mean - 256 MB of Ram, 1.79 GHz.
    My problem just started about 2 weeks ago - up until then I had no problem at all.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What type of processor?
    What model of Gateway?
    Should also seriously consider increasing your RAM amount. 256MB is not really enough for XP. Try to get to 512MB or even 1GB for better results.
    Have you recently used any type of Registry cleaners?
    Have you tried using a different browser?

5. ShaynaMae

ShaynaMae Private E-2

I do have intentions to add memory very soon. I use IE7 at the moment and tried Firefox and Chrome (something). I did favor Firefox but for worries about space I uninstalled both and have only IE7 at the moment. I have followed Java instructions to make sure it is loaded correctly in IE but still have cannot access the game sites without getting booted.
    I do not have a registry cleaner as such - I use AdAware and AVG 8.5 and run AdAware at least once a week. I also use disk cleanup daily.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Firefox worked for me when Java failed to work correctly on Pogo. You have a serious memory limitation issue that could be the problem and should be addressed before we go further. 512 MB is the minimum to boot your machine, assuming its not onboard video using more memory. Put 1 GB in and holler back at us.

7. ShaynaMae

ShaynaMae Private E-2

Thanks - will get that memory up where it belongs and if the problem persists will get back to you. So glad I found this site by the way - no nonsense - just answers.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

No nonsense? Haven't been to some areas yet then, have you?

9. ShaynaMae

ShaynaMae Private E-2

I haven't been to other areas but now I'm curious and I will check some of them out.

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Some may seem like nut cases, but are friendly and helpful.;) They just like to play some.rolleyes
    Still good people though.You'll like them.

11. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Most people hate me for that, welcome to a very small club ;) Talk to you soon :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds