get message saying home page, browser pg unsafe; cannot synch time

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Jul 23, 2014.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Today I Used the browser clean-up function with my new anti-virus program . Don't think I made any changes. But right after that an old problem that I had had when I used IE surfaced. My default browser for years is FF but I ran the browser clean-up for both manually. Just before I did that everything was fine. Then when I went to my home page I got this stupid message saying this site is unsafe, invalid security certificate, so on. I think you have to click on 'make this an exception' before you can get out of the message. [ But back when I had to use IE for a day it wouldn't connect me even then, saying the site was unsafe.] I got the message wherever I went, even to the ff home page. I then downloaded an add on from ff that was a voluntary part of my anti-spyware, and the message seems to have stopped. But now I cannot synchonize my computer time with internet time. I get a message saying the rpc server isn't available. I am wondering if the two problems are related; or what is going on.
    I have already disabled some of the add ons, then tried to sych, but that didn't solve the problem. The only new add on is the one mentioned above.
    What do you think is going on.

2. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Hello. Here is an update to my post yesterday. I started a thread regarding the strange messages I am getting on my computer. I thought they had stopped, but they are continuing. When I tried to go to Firefox, I got the following message:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.mozilla.org. The OCSP response is not yet valid (contains a date in the future). (Error code: sec_error_ocsp_future_response)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

To recap everything;In addition to the message above I am still getting the message that sites are unsafe and don't have a valid security certificate. That message started yesterday. I went to all my internet options and could not find a way to turn this off. As well I cannot synch my time with internet time, and one page loaded funny.
    I hope someone will help me with all this. I realize you are busy, but still no replies.

3. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

please help. Now none of my pages load properly, and I keep getting the invalid security certificate message and I clic make an exception. That is the only way I can get out of it. Then the page loads like a page sometimes loads just before it turns into the actual page, like the skeleton before the flesh comes on to it. It looks kind of like an outline for the actual page. I am unable to use my computer, and am hoping for help before I am no longer able to access this site, which is currently the only site I can access without problems. Again, none of the sites I am trying to access are new. They are all solid sites; the firefox page, Mozilla!; all my email services, all of which are known and reputable; Reputable sites I have been going to for years, that kind of thing.
    alterintel

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

No, I haven't. I just talked to the AVast support person as Avast was my anti-malware program. They say on the software that it is free support 24/7. She asked for remote control of my computer, which had been working fine till the problem with the new mbam, removed that and installed Avast, that worked for about 2 days, then these problems since yesterday. She ran a remote diagnostic and said it was a windows problem, and a driver problem , and some other things, but not a malware problem. I said my computer was working fine with the old mbam and for a couple of days with your program. How could all this suddenly go wrong. She said sometimes itwore out, something like that. She said they could fix it for only$179 that included one year unlimited support. I said I thought it was free, but she said this was a higher level. I said I can't afford it, she said they could fix it just this once for $119. Told her I couldn't afford it and ended conversation. Uninstalled their program. I guess I have to find some new thing fast. Don't know what to do. All this because I downloaded the new mbam.
    Plodr,What does that update do?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Updates the certificates. You keep getting invalid security certificate. As I said, in XP they have to be updated through Windows/MS update. This removes invalid ones (a Dutch company issued many suspect certificates that MS removed any certificates from this company.

Another thing to look at
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001108.htm

7. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr, I have had the certificate problem before when using an incompatible program. Why would my homepage, primary email, and Mozilla firefox have to have their certificates updated? I removed Avast after I posted and that problem and all the others went away. Now I am trying to get back my paid for old red version of mbam. They have no call center anymore, and everything is done by email. For days and days I have emailed them all details, and they half read my emails and come back with incorrect replies and I have to repeat myself 5 and 6 times. Currently I am trying to impress upon them that I want the program back that I paid for. They want me to run some kind of scan. I said I would if I could have my old program back. Currently I am an hour of something called FRST, and it has been stuck on 'Extra Check' for forty minutes. I have continuously emailed mbam [i have been dealing with a supervisor as I asked for one some time ago thinking that would help.] I keep asking if it is ok for the scan to be taking so long in one sector, and have yet to get a reply. So that is where I am, unprotected on the internet. If anyone can help me with all this it is much appreciated.

Alterintel

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  8. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

The scan mbam asked me to run is still on 'extra check'. I finally got an email from them saying to be patient and scans sometimes take a long time. Meanwhile if I could get some input on here it would be appreciated.
    I got such good input on another thread about a different thing. I downloaded the scan and starting running it at 9:29 am and it is now 11 am where I am. The scan still appears stuck in one sector. Mbam told me to be patient. My time is evidently worthless.

Alterintel

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  9. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

The scan mbam asked me to run is still stuck in a sector. It has now been there almost 2 hours. No word from mbam.
    Does mg have a place where I can download an old version of mbam?
    Alterintel

10. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Oh well. I guess all good things must come to an end: good customer support, good programs, good forums, so on. Especially in this day and age of high prices and cheap products.

Alterintel

11. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

A 2 hour deep scan might not be that unusual if there is alot of data stored and your hardware is slow. It really helps in these forums to tell us what your system is; i.e. sticky post above
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=279928

Not sure how you determined the scan you did got stuck in one sector, but let's assume it did. That might be an indication there are drive errors. So, I suggest you scan your drive for errors.

You didn't say which MBAM version you have, but it sounds like the latest version in the 2.x series. If you are set on on older version, you might try version 1.75 here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware_ffb4.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds