Getting a new computer and have questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by comperroruter, May 7, 2009.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I am looking to get a new computer and I am considering going with 64 bit Vista instead of 32bit Vista. I mainly use the computer for surfing the internet and gaming with occasional photo/graphic usage. I also tend to watch a lot of movies online. My questions are as follows:

1. Will Vista 64bit work with Mozilla 2? I have tried Mozilla 3 and had issues with it so I stopped using it. Would Mozilla 3 work better with the 64 bit version or probably not?

2. Will the 64bit interfere with my downloading of pics from my Canon or possibly any outside programs I might use to edit/change pictures or graphics? I am assuming this will depend on each individual program I might decide to try.

3. Freeware Security. I have read that most of them do not work with 64bit and that the only one that does is Avast. Is this true? I currently use AVG, PC Tools Firewall, Spyware Blaster, and Spybot. I am worried that I will lose functionality of these programs with 64 bit.

4. Any other things that I should be aware of in making the switch? I want to stay with Windows, as I understand it Mac's have been 64 bit for quite sometime, but do not want to deal with alot of hassles. My main reasoning for wanting to change over is for more RAM, better Graphics, and the SPEED.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Shawn

2. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

well as for mozilla 2 i am not sure, i use mozilla 3 works fine, im pretty confident 2 should work with x64.

As for your digi cam, i have a nikon camera and my OS does not recognize it or want to load it, even with drivers, so i have to use my brothers computer. This issue might be im using XP 64bit. Not sure if a Vista 64bit would work or not.

Other than that, i have had no other problems with software, i do however use avast and have not tried any others.

How much RAM do you plan on having, and what GPU you gonna use?

3. comperroruter

I am planning on going with the fastest Intel or AMD I can get with it. I prefer Intel for no other reason than that is what I have always used and when I built one online at Falcon they had a 3.32Ghz processor which would be more than adequate for me. As for Graphics cards I would go with dual cards and whatever is at the top of the line when I build it. Price is not really an issue so for future reference everyone replying should assume that I am going to go with as RAM as possible, the best processor I can get, and dual Graphics cards that are at the top of the line when I build the final system. I am getting two hard drives installed 1TB each in order to back up music files because am planning on taking over DJ'ing on one of the sites I visit frequently. I connect through cable modem which is on a wireless network but I have myself outside of the network so that no other computers can access mine.

4. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

Please do not and i repeat DO NOT get the intel core i7 extreme. it is a waste of money, its like 900dollars that is not needed. Get the intel core i7 920, and you can OC it from 2.66-3.6ghz on air with a decent HSF. As for the intel core i7(unless you wanted the old quad core) you need a LGA 1366 socket MOBO, they are quite expensive as well, but support tripple chan ram up to 12GB i believe.

As for video cards go, GTX 295 are the biggest and baddest cards around at the moment i believe, i heard rumors of the GTX 3 series being released soon but have heard no conformation on that.

As for this build your looking for, do not even think about getting 32bit :p

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Would give Fx 3 a go again as its been updated a bit of late and will work in x64 fine, I'm personally using a nightly builds of Minefield and even being alpha its very stable and quick.

What Canon camera model is it? check for drivers and updated software at Canon, however in the OS I never install the camera makers software, just plug the camera in and let Windows install its removable mass driver, works for the Canon and Olympus cameras we have, forget model numbers.

Majority of photo/image editing apps work in x64 ok actually the majority of applications do as in x64 OS you have a x86 folder in which non-native x64 apps install to.

Nah rubbish, most do work ok, and all the ones you listed will work in x64, just get latest versions, Avast is setup for x64 tho adn one I use as well as Spywareblaster and on one PC PCtools FW

Not many Shawn, is this PC coming ready built with x64 Vista installed? or are you building it?

If you building then just make sure you download latest drivers from mobo maker for x64, and download any udpates for your applciations, also check them for a different x64 version as some have specific versions per x64 and x86 whereas some have a all in one installer for both.

Do check any of your games for x64 patches or updates

I run 3 out of 4 of my PCs with x64 and not come across any issues with latest software, likely some older software may not work.

David

6. comperroruter

I have decided that I am going to go with 64bit and get the best processor available( keeping in mind the mention about the i7 extreme), the best dual graphic cards I can find and at least 12Gbs of RAM. I am going through Falcon, Dell, and Alienware to see which one will give me the build I am looking for. I thought I had built one on a site with dual processors but cannot seem to find it now, probably a misread on my part. HP is not an option since everything seemed pretty tame on their site when I tried to build one. I have also looked towards a Mac possibly but think that I would rather stick with what I know, Windows, so no Mac for me just yet. Thanks to both of you for the help and answers and information, it made the decision a lot easier. Cheers to ya. Shawn

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Why not build the system yourself? It is easier than you think and would allow you to get the perfect build for you with less hassle from companies wanting you to take out extended this and that.

8. Ratman2050

Ratman2050 Private E-2

Avast works with 64 bit, as does AVG 8.5 Free edition, Kaspersky, TrendMicro, Panda, McAfee, Norton.

I am running those on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and my ESET Nod32 doesn't work on it so I use AVG.

9. comperroruter

Although I know that I can do it and have the knowledge needed, I am unfortunately a carrier of a rare form of disease called laziness. lol It is something I am considering honestly because the builds I have made on sites do not have all the stuff that I want on the motherboard. Since I cannot have them get different mobo's I am definitely considering buying one of my own and starting from there. Basically I am looking for something that runs 64bit, has at least four RAM slots so that I can have up to 32Gbs of RAM, four slots for graphic cards so that I can have up to four of the best available, if possible I would like to have two processors but I am still researching this and don't know if it is worth it or even possible. I also need room for two to four hard drives and two removable media drives. I want at least 6 usb ports, along with other outside attachments that will allow me to connect to my television for when I watch movies online and play games. (Since I have a 52" tv it just makes sense to do so.) So, where I sit right now is whether I want to take the time to build one or be lazy and end up with something slightly less capable than I want. Have to take the time to think about it. Hopefully I overcome the laziness..lol.

10. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

You're way overkill with 12GB of RAM bro. Unless you're trying to run a bunch of VM's or high performance software, you really dont need that much. If you have the cash, go for it, otherwise id save it for some other upgrade for your new system...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds