Getting Frustrated over Ram...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guiltygearxx, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Guiltygearxx

Guiltygearxx Private E-2

I have been wanting to upgrade my laptop by installing 4gb of Ram. I looked around to see what memory stick was compatible with my laptop (Asus X54C) .

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=X54C&Cat=RAM

I recently ordered and received a memory stick awhile ago. I tried inserting it into the slot but it wouldn't go in correctly. It seems there is something in the way or I just maybe I did made a mistake in some way. I'd appreciate any help.

Here is the memory I had ordered from Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145283

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Do you have the Serial or tag that it should come with on the bottom of the laptop.

3. Guiltygearxx

Guiltygearxx Private E-2

It should be BCN0AS24364449A.

4. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Laptop memory usually is inserted on an angle into the socket then you press down on the memory to lock it into the (usually) metal tabs on each side of the memory socket. It can only go in one way due to where the the little slot is on the memory&socket (more pins on one side than the other).

That is the correct memory for your laptop.

Sam

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

That laptop also has soldered RAM so do not try putting it into the filled slot because that stick can't be removed. There should be another slot on top of the soldered and filled slot.

6. Guiltygearxx

Guiltygearxx Private E-2

That does make me relieved to see I was doing it correctly, but the problem is that it won't go in al the way. The pins are suppose to go in as far in the slot where you won't be able to see the pins anymore, but when I put the memory inside from the directions that you've said the pins only go half way and If you touch it slightly or move the laptop in some way the Ram stick moves to come out of place.

Any Idea? I say I did something to the laptop slot or maybe the metal tabs inside.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds