Getting my computer out of safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by gonggirl, Apr 10, 2010.

1. gonggirl

gonggirl Private E-2

Hi,
    I stupidly took some advice on a website which was:

•1. Got to your Start menu and select Run option.
    •2. Type in msconfig command and click OK. The System Configuration Utility program will then open.
    •3. Select the BOOT.INI tab located at the top of the System Configuration Utility window.
    •4. Check the box labeled /SAFEBOOT and click OK.
    •5. When asked if you prefer to restart the PC immediately, or Exit Without Restart, choose to restart the computer manually.
    •6. Your computer will automatically boot into Windows XP Safe Mode when you will restart it.
    •7. When you are done with Safe Mode, go to the Start menu again and select Run option. Type in msconfig *and click OK.
    •8. Select the Normal Startup radio button and click OK.
    •9. When asked if you prefer to restart the PC immediately, or Exit Without Restart, choose to restart the computer manually.
    •10. Your computer will boot into Normal mode the next time you switch it on.

to boot my computer in safe mode, but now my computer goes to boot and goes from booting the windows program to a black screen, how can I put this setting back to boot normally? I cannot get windows to boot completely.

I'm hoping someone can help please

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Can you at boot keep tapping F8 and get to the startup menu and choose Normal?
    If you can open msconfig and choose Normal Startup.

3. gonggirl

gonggirl Private E-2

I can get into F8 and I tried last known configurations, boot normally and everything keeps booting to the configurations that are in windows now, which is the safe mode being set through msconfig, I cannot work out how to get into it to change this msconfig to normal.

4. gonggirl

gonggirl Private E-2

I've fixed it, phew, I'll tell everyone just in case someone has the same problem and it helps them:
    I installed the original xp disc and ran the repair mode, it didn't run, it sat at the C\:windows and didn't go any further, I then typed in BOOTCFG and it bought up all different things to do, I chose BOOTCFG \REBUILD, it then looked up my operating system and asked for additional boot methods I typed in : NORMAL (this was only a guess) pressed enter and rebooted and it worked, just a fluke but I'm happy, it booted and a big configuration settings box come on the screen I then went into configurations settings and changed this setting back to boot normal. Hope this all makes sense, Hope it helps others
    Thank You for all your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds