Getting new XP install to see existing programmes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-2c8b178e92, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Anon-2c8b178e92

Anon-2c8b178e92 Anonymized

512 RAM
    Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD MoBo (Socket 775)
    P4 D 945
    DVD ROM
    CD RW
    FDD
    80GB WD Primary HDD
    120GB Hitachi Deskstar Secondary HDD
    XP

OK, following a dead MoBo/CPU I have upgraded both those components and done a full install of XP to a fresh formatted drive. (Primary HDD)

Hardware and XP are working fine but how do I get the new XP install to recognise the programs on the old drive (Secondary HDD) - eg Word etc. I tried to start Word to see what would happen but it said was an unregistered copy and stopped. (Or words to that effect - the message left the screen pretty quickly!)

Do I have to reinstall all the software onto the new drive containing XP :(

Also as an aside - should I "remove" (somehow :confused: ) the old XP on the old drive or is it better to let sleeping dogs lie?

Thanks

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You have to reinstall the programs ....you can move any files to the new install ..but since it is a new install, there are no registry entries that allow the old programs to function.

3. Anon-2c8b178e92

Thanks (I think! :) )

4. Anon-2c8b178e92

Have started to reinstall programmes so that they work again after the XP reinstall.

Two problems have arisen;

1) How do I transfer my old Outlook mail file across to the new Outlook installation? I can't find the .pst file in the old Outlook setup that they talk about using to Import . Is there something to this that I'm not getting?

2) I can't get access to my files in the old "My documents" structure. I'm told it's not accessible and "access is denied". Presumably this is something to do with the security of accounts? How do I gain access again.

Thanks

5. Anon-2c8b178e92

Problems solved!
    Searched the forum a bit more and found some similar problems and solutions. (Helps if you get the search keywords right :) )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds