GFX Cards: Bit vs. Memory vs. Mhz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quagmire02, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Quagmire02

Quagmire02 Private E-2

I see tons of graphics cards priced differently based on these threee things: Bit , Memory Size, and Mem Speed.

My question is, which is more important? I see cards that have 1000mhz speed and only 128 MB, 128-Bit...and then i see ones that have 600mhz speed with 128MB, 256-Bit.

Which is more important: high speed, size, or bit? (in the context of gaming, movies, editing).

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

roughly speaking, Bits and speed(mhz) of memory are more important on a graphics card. 256-bit memory at higher speed allows for more significantly more bandwidth--provided the GPU can use it (this is why older cards at 128-bit vs 256-bit were not too noticeably different)

more important, is the GPU itself, as the memory configuration only compliments this.

probably the best example of this is the 256-bit Radeon 9800XT 256MB, which is outperformed by the 128-bit Nvidia 6600GT 128MB--simply because the 6600GT GPU (the newer generation) is superior to the 9800XT.

if you're shopping for a graphics card and are uncertain, let us know what you want it to do, and the specs of the computer it is going into, and we'll help you out.

3. Quagmire02

Quagmire02 Private E-2

Thanks, Brother.

Here's what I want it for:

Gaming (Warcraft III, WoW, Unreal 2004)
    2 Monitor display (I record music with my comp and having 2 monitors would be great for using 2 programs at once, like a multitrack studio and drum sequencer)

Here's what it's going into:

ASUS A8V Motherboard
    AMD Athalon 64 939 Newcastle 3200+ 800 FSB
    1GB Mushkin Dual Channel DDR400 PC3200 Memory

I currently have a 350W antec PSU and Im not sure if I'll have to upgrade...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds