GFX Cards with motherboards question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-125cdb8a9b, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Anon-125cdb8a9b Anonymized

Can i use any graphics card with any motherboard or do i need a better motherboard to use the better graphics cards?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In short with so little info on what your current hardware is and what you would like to add as new, then the answer is NO and reason why is that you have various types of graphic card from PCI (which is not majorly available or used as much) to AGP and PCI-E and with those graphic cards comes you needing a motherboard that has a a slot of one of those types, most if not all modern motherboards are of the PCI-E type.

Now comes a YES but in that if your motherboard has a PCI-E slot then you can add any model of PCI-E graphics card from the very cheap and slower to the top of the range uber models, however to get max out of a system also other components need to be able to move data around, so at times you could have a high powered graphics card but inf motherboard and more so ram, CPU and HD are not good spec you can end up with a bottleneck in the movement of data, although if your doing this for gaming, these days the GUPs are so powerful they do most of the work.

If you give us an idea of what your trying to do and with what hardware we can advise more.

3. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Thanks for the info, Halo.

I'm trying to install a better graphics card for gaming. I currently have a GeForce 7300 LE, but i want to put in a better one so i can get some proper good gfx out of games.

The 7300 LE is PCI Express, what other information do you need to know?

4. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Can someone help me with this please?

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Your motherboard will accept most of the new high power cards.
    I have a GeForce GTX 260 that is incredibly fast and perfect for gaming but it does not come cheap (around $300+) there is one that is even faster GTX280 but i believe that is about $500 so it depends on what you want to pay.

It is also a big piece of kit so make sure you have room in the tower,(I had to cut pieces off the case negating the warranty)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/graphics/review/2008/07/11/nVidia-GeForce-GTX-260/p1

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  6. Anon-125cdb8a9b

I have heard when reading some online reviews about gfx cards that they sometinmes need two power supplys or something. Can someone explain?

Thanks BILLMCC66 for your info.

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Yes you are right it does need two power inputs but that is not a problem,all you need is a simple splitter for the power cable and it's good to go

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

9. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Another question: i dont play any action games on my pc such as Call of duty 4 etc.. i only play rts games such as command and conquer. So is it worth me getting a really high end gfx card or should i settle for something a little older and cheaper but still does the job?

The reason i ask this is because i understand that FPS games have a higher gfx card requirement in order to play them with good visual graphics than that of the gfx card requirements for an rts.

10. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Can someone help me?

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

If you do not intend to play games that require such high end graphics then just buy the best card you can afford.
    It's always better to have a little bit in reserve.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds