Ghostly Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Regnad Kcin, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Regnad Kcin

Regnad Kcin Private E-2

Hi all,

Short Version:
    I have a Dell M991 monitor and an NVIDA GeForce MX/MX400. (Windows XP) It's running at 1024x768/60hz. The display colors are very over-saturated, my start button is glowing a radioactive green for example. Also, things are "ghosty". For example, the line of text I'm typing is under a gray shadow which extends the width of the screen, so the entire text of this post is making a series of zebra-stripes across the monitor.

So far I've updated the driver for the NVIDA, degaussed, and played with all the color settings I can find. Am I overlooking something simple? Hope so.

Extra Information:
    This is not my original monitor. I have a 2001 Gateway which I have been upgrading as I go. (The processor is a 1.1ghz AMD Athlon and it currently has 1.2gig/ram.)
    The original monitor has been growing slowly darker over time. I figure it's just old age.
    Yesterday, I literally turned away for just a minute and when I turned back, the screen was waaaay dark. I figured the old monitor had just died. I was able, by putting my nose against the screen, to find the pointer and get offline and shut the computer down.
    I disconnected the old monitor and replaced it with this Dell, which had been working just fine on my other 'puter. But now it's acting up.
    So, what gives? Did I damage the Dell when I moved it across the room? I didn't drop it. Bad cables? Did I bump the card? I was on Facebook when my old monitor went on the fritz. Did I get some monster drive-by virus? AVG says no. I'm out of ideas.

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

3. Regnad Kcin

Regnad Kcin Private E-2

4. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Disconnect your monitor from the computer turn monitor on and it should come up with a check signal cable warning, is this on screen graphic looking OK or are you having the same problem?

5. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If a desktop PC, try opening the case, remove and reseat your graphics card(if plugin).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds