Gigabyte ga-k8nf-9 Will not boot :-(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redfish0, Apr 21, 2005.

1. redfish0

redfish0 Private E-2

Hi,

I've just got an amd64 3000, 1gb pc3200, xfx geforce 6600 pci-e and a gigabyte ga-k8nf-9.

I put it all together and it came to boot time. Fingers crossed, pressed the button and weeeeeeee! :) Oh, noooooo :-(. It stopped about 2-3 seconds after starting. It didnt even get to display anything.
    I think I've been shipped a ga-k8nf-9 duff edition.

Despite stripping down to bare minimum, it still would not boot.
    Even if I just power the motherboard up (using the 20 pin and 4 pin atx psu plugs) with nothing attached (not even cpu, memory etc), it dies 2-3 seconds after starting. No beep codes either, which I would expect with nothing else plugged in.
    I even went down my local pc shop and bought a new 500w jeantech psu but I get the same with that too.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? I've run out of things to try bar throw a tantrum.

Thanks.

2. trespasser1234

trespasser1234 Private E-2

This is something I ran into when I was doing a new install in an Antec P-160 gaming case. It was the case shorting out the MB and not allowing it to boot. Try taking the motherboard out of the case and set it on top of the MB box with the plastic bubble wrap below it (dont want any shorts now). Have MB, CPU, RAM, and Vid card in and see what happens when you fire it up.

3. redfish0

redfish0 Private E-2

Already tried that. But same thing happens.

Thanks anway.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Reset the cmos jumper,can you give a list of the things you have tried so there arn't alot of wasted posts. :)

5. cjbrunner

cjbrunner Private E-2

I've had the same problem with my board and an AMD 64 3000+. Dies moments after power-up with no beeps. Tried stripping it down to nothing and everything else in this thread.

Has anyone else come up with a solution?

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to MG,you really need to start your own thread,read the stickies,then list all the things you have tried,or you will just end up sayin,tried that,tried that,tried that.

7. Bloodrage

Bloodrage Private E-2

I too have the same problem.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core
    TwinMOS 2x512MB Dual DDR kit
    Gigabyte Geforce 6600 PCI-e
    Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
    Segate 200GB SATA HDD
    Pioneer dual-layer DVD writer
    PSU is a 400W RaidMAX

Does not POST. No beeps. It just hangs. Does reset when you press the reset button, does not power off unless you use the PSU switch at the back.

Tried single and no RAM, tried no GFX card, disconnected all drives from M/B & PSU, reset BIOS with jumper, and even re-seating the CPU.

I have read on some other boards that it may turn out to be either a dud CPU or motherboard.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Hmmm, didn't you read what Rikky stated, please start your own post, instead of hijacking this one. Thankyou.

:)

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

No beeps. Is the pc speaker actually connected properly? A good test is puttting the CPU in (with cput fan/heatsink) leaving memory. ... Nothing?

What about, resetting the bios.

Also, what components were used. We need to know if the mainboard is compatible with the cpu and the memory.....

10. formy2000

formy2000 Private E-2

I had the same problem just recently. I assumed the motherboard was fried and returned it to the store. I found the same problem with the replacement MB.

I took the Power Switch lead off and jumped it with a pen across the power switch jumpers and it ran fine.

Ended up that the leads for the case (just the power switch) were backwards in polarity. I turned the power switch lead around and all ran fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds