Gigabyte GTX 970 Backplate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Space_Rocks, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question. I bought the Gigabyte Windforce3 OC GTX970 graphics card for my new PC. I really like the look of my PC as a whole but regret not buying the G1 Gaming version of this card (didn't know about it until it was too late lol). Is there any way of getting my hands on a G1 backplate on its own, or even a custom one? I have found some custom ones but I'm not 100% sure if they will fit my card as they are mostly for GTX 980's, Titans or MSI/ASUS 970's. They also claim to need the waterblock component to be fit. Here is the site in case others are interested though:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=962&catid=1520&subid=2885

The ones I think might fit are:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-695-EK&groupid=962&catid=1520&subcat=2885 (GTX 980 though, not sure how different they are)
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-759-EK&groupid=962&catid=1520&subcat=2885 (also 980 but is for the WF3)

Oh my vanity! My PC has a huge window on the side (NZXT H440 case) so I notice my mistake lol. Also, can these be used on their own? I assume I can just screw it onto the back, right?

Many thanks for any help and advice!

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You might do better by contacting Gigabyte tech support and seek their advice as to whether they are compatible or not.

LOL Well, a clean and tidy case interior is certainly important for proper air flow and cooling but a pretty backplate does nothing for performance. And isn't what's happening on your monitor(s) more important?

I like a case with a side window too. And I make sure my cables are routed and tied back because proper cable management means the cables don't impede air flow any more than they have too. But also, because it "looks" tidy and more professional inside too. And perhaps it is a bit vain on my part, but I do take pride in knowing my cases "look" clean, tidy and professional inside.

But other than that, I expect my cases to sit quietly and discreetly off to the side and not draw attention to themselves so I can pay attention to what's on my monitors.

I use the side window to inspect for dust build up, and to make sure my fans are spinning. Not to gawk over and drool. Well, at least not after the first 5 minutes passes and the novelty wears off.

I am just saying a pretty backplate will not improve your computer's performance, cooling, stability, lifespan, or efficiency. Note the description of the backplates you linked to (my bold added), "Aesthetic retention backplate". Is stroking your vanity with an "aesthetics only" item you will rarely see and really only enjoy while it is still a new novelty really worth £23?

You already have a great looking case and an awesome graphics card. I say celebrate that by spending your £23 on pizza for friends or family. That will not only stroke your vanity, but make you and your friends or family happy and in the end, you will have some good memories that will last - unlike the novelty of pretty backplate.

3. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

My case is pretty neat and tidy as it is, can only see a few cables. I didn't mean for it to match so well, I only bought red RAM specifically, the rest was already planned because of deals, performance/features and availability :p

And you are completely right, performance is the most important, as is what's on my monitor. However my PC is about 60cm away from my head as it stands on top of my desk to my right, so I always see it out the corner of my eye, let alone when I gawk into it during loading screens etc. (which I'm ashamed to admit that I do, just a lil' bit haha).

Either way they don't cost much and for once in my life I do have some disposable cash which I'm happy to spend on a backplate and a pizza party! Plus it's my first ever build so it's special for me.

Attached Files:

4. Digerati

lol

I hear you on that too. Although my first PC build was over well over 25 years ago and everything about it is long ago obsolete, for sentimental reasons alone, I kept the "full" tower AT Form Factor (years before ATX) case. It stands 25 inches tall and serves as an end table in a spare bedroom now and makes for a good conversation piece just for the monstrous size of the thing.

5. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Holy Moley that's older than me lol! I guess in 25 years I could glue some legs to one side and use it as a coffee table, a very pretty one too if I get a backplate for the graphics card :D Either way, it's not an important thing at all but it's just something that bothers me a bit and isn't hard or costly to fix. I like customizing things and making them truly my own :) Was even considering buying one of the plain anodized aluminium ones and spray painting a decal onto it or something

6. Digerati

Yeah, well, I've been working with computers since the mid-70s so what can I say?

You could certainly do that as long as the paint was suitable for electronics, and you properly prepared the surface so the paint didn't peel. Some of those backplates act as heatsinks so you want to careful not to hinder that process.

7. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Sweet! Do the advances in technology impress you now like they used to, or is it disappointing in some ways?

Yeah, I was only thinking of spraying my gamer-tag on the corner of the aluminium backplate by using a paper cut-out as a template, but I'm not artistic... at all.

I found a UK-based guy who laser cuts custom designs (which I can design myself) into 6mm acrylic plastic that are shaped specifically for MSI/ASUS/EVGA/Gigabyte GTX 970's and 980's for just £20 (incl. delivery). Plus you can mix 2 colours of acrylic or have it double layered to give a 2-tone effect to the cut-out (then its 9mm thick). At least i know this would work on its own and doesn't possibly need a waterblock to be fitted... Need to also see how its held off of the PCB though as I don't want this to, like you said, possibly interfere with cooling of the card.

Eh, I'll do a bit more of my own research and I'll post back here if I find a good seller/website or products in general for others that are as vain as me :p

8. Digerati

Yes and yes. I am continually impressed at how more and more computing power is packed in smaller and smaller packages while consuming less energy and generating less heat.

But I am disappointed that such miniaturization is leading the computing industry and more and more consumers towards handheld devices which is resulting in the decline and I fear the eventual demise of the PC. For me, they will have to pry my full sized keyboard, mouse and multiple widescreen monitors (and surround sound speakers) from my dead hands before I give up my tower PC.

:eek :eek :eek
    Just the mere thought of the extreme static electricity potentials acrylic plastics can generate caused the hairs on my head and arms to stand up when I read that! Make sure you read up on ESD before even thinking of using it or bringing it near your ESD sensitive devices. In fact, I would go for aluminum and advise against the acrylic plastic.

9. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

HAHAHA xD I hear you there man, I'm also aware of the mobile era dominating over the home PC and it worries me a bit. I don't think that it'll ever become fully obsolete though, at least not anytime soon, they're too damn fast and versatile (perfect for gaming, heavy workloads, simulating, servers, rendering to name but a few) and inexpensive (for the performance at least).

As for static... HOLY BALLS!! I didn't even think of that! How did that slip my mind? :( Thanks for mentioning that, will most definitely sway me towards the aluminium back plate. I've read mixed things about static being a problem, I'd rather not risk it though.

10. Digerati

Not sure why anything you've read would be "mixed". ESD is a very real problem and will only get worse as density levels get more dense. The biggest problem with ESD is a static discharge can totally destroy our CPUs, RAM, GPUs and other high-density devices yet be so tiny we, as humans, cannot see, hear or feel the shock. This is why you should always be in the habit of using a good static wrist band, or constantly remember to touch bare metal of the case interior before reaching in.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds