Gigabyte K8VM800M

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dust11, May 20, 2005.

1. dust11

dust11 Private E-2

OK, a friend of mine is having a problem setting up this motherboard,
    I need the location of the DSW switch or a set of jumpers that will change the frequency to match that of the CPU's FSB (AMD Athlon64 3200+). Can anyone help? Kinda urgent. Um, if uou have any advice, just email them to shadow_sniper21@hotmail.com so my friend Kane can use it (He's the one setting up the MB). :confused:

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Dip s wtches were the old way adjusting,fsb,multiplyer.ect.now the mobo detects the cpu and the bios adjusts them accordingly,If the cpu isn't being detected and your getting a non booter,you may have to upgrade the bios,which will be tough unless you have a slower 754 or 939 chip lying around,check what bios the board is shipped with,then cross reference on the manufacturers site the cpu support list also look for any problems with that chip and your board,If you didn't wanna turn it on untill you had set them,throw the switch. :D

3. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

You can get a manual in pdf format on the Gigabyte website if you don't already have one ( which you should ).

Of course you were not very clear as to what exactly is the problem you are having. Is the CPU being recognized at all or is it just not showing up as what it really is? We need more info on the exact problem.

If you can get into the BIOS ( hit Delete at the boot screen ), once in the BIOS hit Ctrl+F1 to enter the Advanced Bios settings. Once there look for Frequency/Voltage Control this is where you can set the FSB.

4. dust11

dust11 Private E-2

Well the problem is that the pc won't even boot. I had the same problem when building my machine (very new) and I fixed it using the dsw switches. But his pc wont even do a post, and doesn't even show the boot screen, it just sits there. I presumed that it wasn't detecting the cpu by itself and needed manual intervention to tell it what to do, but I couldn't find a way to fix it. My mb is an Asus A7V400MX, I think. His is the Gigabyte. Asus made it very clear of what to do in the manual, but Gigabyte was very vague. If you can help, please do :)

There shouldn't be any problems with the CPU and MB, as he bought and upgrade kit.

5. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

not entirely true... Gigabyte among others use hardware switches on some of their motherboards to switch between 133/166/200 or whatever the available speed is. My GA7VA (SocketA) card from just 3 years ago has these switches. Also the last SocketA card I built with... in fact I think all SocketA cards had them.

this card however should detect the speed automatically.

any bios beep codes... screen messages or whatever? or is it all black, no sign of life? could use a more detailed description.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I know I have a gigabyte ga7va right next to me,I havnt seen any on a64 boards,its all automatic.

7. dust11

dust11 Private E-2

no, the whole thing refuses to do anything. In your terms, "no signs of life".

8. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

power cable connected? ;)

j/k

is the psu operational? if not, swap it. it's never wrong to get a more powerful psu anyways, so you might wanna do that. IF it's the psu that's not powerful enough you should have been able to got the computer up and running at least at some point, at least for a short while.

you could analyse the problem by doing this;
    pull the power cord, wait 10 sec, then reinsert and start it up. if it'll work then you know you need a more powerful psu.

if that doesn't work, check inside comp and doublecheck that connectors are properly seated, especially the ATX and P4 connector. if it still won't work after that then I'd say you've missed something or else you've got a faulty card/psu.

9. dust11

dust11 Private E-2

OK, we found the problem. Turns out that when he put it together, he blew up the motherboard. He'd screwed screws in where he wasn't supposed to.

It's always the little things, isn't it? :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds