Gigabyte MB help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bgunn, Oct 19, 2013.

1. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

ok... I have put together several systems from scratch but I am having some issues with this latest build.

Barebones kit:
    Gigabyte MB - GA-78LMT-S2P
    CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2ghz AM3
    HDD - WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 7200

I have gone through and methodically hooked things up and I cannot get the system to kick. The big question I had in hooking the last thing was the power switch and stuff from the case to the motherboard.

Usually, I have better directions as to what goes where but not this time... I have a tester and know that the power supply is good and everything else seems to be connected right - so I am left at the fact that I might not have those various connectors in the right position.

Anybody offer up some help?
    Thanks
    bgunn

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, bgunn.

You might check your connections with the following Gigabyte layout: be advised that this is for Version 5.0. Also be advised that although Gigabyte has some of the best online manuals in the industry they do take a little while to open and/or to download.

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_ga-78lmt-s2p_v.5.0_e.pdf

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Gigabyte is my preferred brand on all my builds. IMO, they, along with ASUS, build the best boards. But until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will be some samples that fail. You may have got one.

@Caliban - do note that is for the Russian manual. The American (English) and correct revision version is found here (scroll down - third from the bottom).

@bgunn - If you look on page 16 of your manual, you can see the front panel power button is connected to pins 6 and 8.

Also note most motherboards require 2, some times 3 connections directly to the PSU. Your board requires 2, the standard 24-pin, and a 4-pin ATX connector, as shown on page 14.

Finally, If you have a VERY STEADY HAND, you can short the two pins where the power switch connects with a flat tip screwdriver. If the PSU is working and the main power connectors are properly connected, the system will (or should) start.

4. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

Gentlemen:
    I stand before you with egg on my face... sometimes I just move too fast for the day.
    The area of MB that I thought that all the case connections went was not such... while I saw the connection spot next to the power supply 24-pin, I did not think that was it nor did I see that in the manual.
    Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction all is right with this corner of the world once again.

bgunn

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Funny thing about RTFM. There's something to it! ;)

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out and that it works. And thanks for the followup. And not to worry about the eggs - if anyone says they have never had them on their face, they're lying!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds