GigE Network Tap - Confused

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrfusion70, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mrfusion70

mrfusion70 Private E-2

HELP
    I need to setup a network tap on a GigE RJ45 connection. Everything I am seeing is a 4 port device (tap) that requires a dual port nic in order to see all the packets. Well, what I have done in the past is just setup port mirroring or slip in a dual speed HUB and use my laptop with wireshark and get the info I need - done. But now that I need to do this with a GigE link it appears that either I have been doing something wrong and or I need to do it differently now. I guess my question is, can I find a network tap that supports GigE and still just use my laptop along with one RJ45 connection and wireshark to get the job done??
    Thanks for any help, JJ

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds