Gimp Photo Restore Function

Discussion in 'Software' started by Patty Ann, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Patty Ann

Patty Ann Private E-2

I use Gimp to try to fix my old photos. Having trouble. I see online there is supposed to be a plug in, phyton or something that is supposed to be more efficient at this. I cannot find it. How to install it if I do find it. Anyone know?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. Patty Ann

Patty Ann Private E-2

Thank you but neither of these places were of any help to me. I am not a computer programmer. I just need to find the restore.py program for gimp and get in on my computer in the proper place so it will work. Have not been able to do that. If you know where and how to get the program I would appreciate that.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Patty Ann.

If you are using GIMP, then you are more of a programmer than you think you are. ;)

What's your Windows version and Service Pack #?

If you are running a Linux distro or a Mac, you'll be better served by posting in the Linux or Macintosh forums.

Regardless of what environment the GIMP's running in: the second link that TimW posted should walk you through the process of activating the .py.

5. Patty Ann

Patty Ann Private E-2

I really tried both those sites, but they still are not helpful. I am using Windows 7. Cannot find the restore.py file to download that will open. I need instructions as to how to copy this into a plug in file as cannot find it either.

6. Caliban

I found this at http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00237-exceptional-plugin-photo-restore:
    The quote points to GIMP 2.6, but I imagine the procedure is the same for any late version.

And, you'll have to locate the plugins folder in your Windows GIMP directory.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Take a look at this how-to install thread and particularly Step 2 to see if Python is enabled. If Python is not enabled then I believe you would have to do all the steps before being able to get the restore.py to even be recognized.

8. Patty Ann

Patty Ann Private E-2

I was finally able to get the Gimp program to recognize phython. I still cannot get the restore program into Gimp. When I click on the restore.py on the plug in list, I get a whole page of script. What do I do with that? How can I download the file? Also, I can't find the gimp plug in file where I am supposed to add the file.

9. Patty Ann

Patty Ann Private E-2

Thank you to all of you that responded. It took me awhile to figure out what I was doing but I was able to get the Restore function working!!! As I have stated, I am not a computer programmer so sometimes I have to "mull it over" and work with it awhile before I get it right. Thanks again

10. Caliban

Glad you got it sorted, Patty Ann, and thanks for the feedback. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds