Gmail inbox suddenly full of pages of ads

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Sep 21, 2015.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

I clicked on something at the top of the gmail inbox that said social, and indicated that it allowed me to receive messages from social networks. Didn't want it, or the other damn thing beside so clicked on them and suddenly my inbox doubled in size with pages of ads. Hours later inspite of my best efforts it is still like that. I have had that account for years, it has important messages. How can I return my inbox back to legit messages? Failing that how can I download 'sent folder" to my machine. google seems to have gotten worse than facebook about tricking you into giving up info and getting ads.
    Very sleazy.

alterintell

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

First, I would recommend that if you don't want something, the worst thing you can do is click on it.

All those tabs do is auto categorize your existing emails into different categories and boxes. It doesn't add emails or ads into your inbox. Here's an explanation of what they are: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/3055016?hl=en

When you clicked on Social it brought you to all the messages in your inbox that were categorized as social. If you click on Primary, it should bring you back to what you are used to.

If you don't want them, you should click on the gear icon on the top right of your gmail screen. In the dropdown box you will see 'Configure Email'. Click on that. Uncheck everything but 'Primary' and click Save. That should get rid of the tabs.

3. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Laura,
    It seemed to be saying to clic if I didn't want it Anyway, none of those classifications are still there. There is nothing there to clic or not clic on. And today was the only time they have ever been on there, but they are gone now. The ads were not in my inbox before today.
    alterintel

4. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Laura, I followed your instructions and primary was already checked but I checked it again and clicked save. Nothing changed. The ads are from pc mag, something called 'what's new', some other things. The top part of my inbox still doesn't have the divisions 'primary' and 'social'.

5. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Laura,
    Those tabs weren't there till today. I just clicked on all of them in the configure box, and that seemed to organize everything into its own category and restored the person to person communications that I wanted. Now I do have all those tabs on top, which I never had that before Having had this mail service for years, its possible it just didn't update properly when the program changed; as I said, today was the first time I knew any of this existed.
    thanks for your input. Could you possibly help me get my bookmarks out of 'library' and back under 'bookmarks'? Its my other post today. [This is what happens when you're older and self taught, such as it is. lol]
    Alterintel

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Glad you got it figured out and configured the way you like. :) It looks like you got your other issue taken care of as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds