??? Gnome ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Aug 5, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I see that a new GNOME has been released and I was wondering: what exactly is GNOME? I know it's released under the GPL open source license, and I know that it has something to do with Linux/Unix. I looked it up at Wiki and it seems that it's a Windows-like app for Linux. Up until now, I thought GNOME was Linux; like it was a Linux OS like Fedora, or SUSE, or Knoppix. Apparently it's not. So, what the heck is GNOME? What does it do? Why would I (as a total, 100%, Linux noob) download and install/run GNOME? Any light that can be shed on this will be appreciated! Thanx!

hd2k

I've been looking into setting up a dual boot system: XP Pro SP2 and Linux on a 250gb SATA hard drive. 200gb for WinXP and the remaining 50gb (or so) for the Linux. I'll probably be using Fedora Core 6 (? Is that right ?) This is kind of a 2nd post, but if anyone can shed some light on this for me and offer some tips or suggestions, or link me to some guides, I'd appreciate it. Or am I wasting my time? THANX!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Gnome is a desktop environment. Linux is the kernel.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I think Fedora 7 is the newest one. Adrynalyne pretty much summed up Gnome, without Gnome, Linux boots up to a Command Line Interface. No fun there for me... Gnome and KDE let you use the system with graphics like Windows. You can select which interface you want to run the Linux os in.

As far as installing a dual boot, just make sure you have winXP installed first, then let Linux repartition the drive, and install Linux. Make sure you backup anything important, I have never had any problems, but have only setup dual boots a few times. There are a ton of guides on Linux forums.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/

Just a couple of links, not sure which forum is best.

And don't forget this one... http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Looks like ShadowPuterDude has a sticky for you to check out!

Good luck with the penguin!

E

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Thanx for the great info! I'll be sure to look at those links. So, if I install Fedora 6 (I've already downloaded it), I'll need Gnome in order to use Linux in a graphical environment? Without Gnome all I'll have is a command line? Hmmm, this is news to me, and I'm REAL glad I asked! I'd have been a bit PO'd and lost if I installed Fedora, and just ended up at a command prompt! I probably would have figured that the install took a dump on me!! So, thanx agin for the info, and I'll be sure to check the links! :D

hd2k

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

No, you will have Gnome or KDE by default. Just bust off and try an install. Gnome will be in the download, and should be the default when you boot. The basic install is like winXP, except it usses some odd hard stuff, but it is all auto.

E

6. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

and quite painless, i dual boot with mandriva linux and w2k and prefer the linux boot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds