Goes to IE--I want Opera

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jul 22, 2008.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

This is driving me crazyl Sometimes, when I click a link in an email I have received, or on a website, it takes me to Internet Explorer. But my default browser is Opera. Can I do anything to make the link use Opera?

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

What Windows version are you using (including service pack)?

On Vista:

Have you tried going (in Internet Explorer) to Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab, Set Programs button at the bottom, and changing your preferences there? I believe XP is similar.

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I'm using XP on my desktop computer and Vista on my laptop, both with the latest service pak. On the Internet Options, I found the place for choosing default programs. Firefox is listed as a choice in addition to IE, but not Opera or any other browsers.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Did you click on the 'custom' option when you went into your default programs?

Opera is listed on mine even though I don't use it. Firefox is not because that is what I have set as my default for browser and email.

5. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Yes, custom is clicked. On mine, Opera is the default browser, so maybe that's why it doesn't show up. But still, some links go to IE.

6. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

To mcsmc

quote: "Have you tried going (in Internet Explorer) to Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab, Set Programs button at the bottom, and changing your preferences there? I believe XP is similar."
    XP is different. It doesn't have the Set Programs button at the bottom of the Programs page.

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

What are your settings set to under all the categories?

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Opera compatibility issues since it's happening sporatically for you.

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Re: To mcsmc

Well, XP still has a default program settings... I believe there is a link to it in the Start menu called "Set Program Access and Defaults". I forget where exactly in the Start menu it is.

This article might help you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/332003

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Also, if you're using an email program (not web email access), you have to ensure that the settings in your email program reflect your browser preference. Some email programs will automatically use IE until you tell them to use something else.

10. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

The Microsoft article you gave me the link for was just the ticket for XP on my desktop computer. Thanks a lot. I found that IE was listed as the default browser, even though Opera really is. It had an option for Opera which I clicked. I reckon that will work. Thanks a million.

11. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

To LauraR

Under Choose a default web browser, the options are:
    Use my current website
    Internet Explorer
    Mozilla Firefox
    I don't understand the first option. A website is not a web browser, is it?
    But since Opera is not listed, I chose the first option.

Under Choose a default e-mail program, the options are:
    Use my current e-mail program
    Windows Mail
    And I don't understand these because Vista comes with Windows Mail and that's what I'm using, so that is "my current e-mail program." Anyway, I chose the first option.

12. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

You're welcome. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds