goldmine / ms sql install problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bobdrakke, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Bobdrakke

Bobdrakke Private E-2

Hey guys I'm helping a friend install goldmine 8 for his small business and coming across a problem when it asks me for ms sql details.

It asks for computer name, DB name, admin user and pass and DB owner. I input details for computer name, DB name goldmine, and use sa (system admin) the default user / pass.

Once I've done this and click next it comes with an error that it can't connect to DB.

I check and see the ms sql 2005 is running it is and I did a login check via the link article below and get " Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection."

Code:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322336
    My question is what should I try, as I don't want to mess his comp and business on reg edit unless its a last resort. I didn't install the ms sql 2005 I'm attempted to unistall then reinstall ms sql 2005 but incase I have the same problem I apprecieate any suggestions other than get someon else to fix it.

TIA

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Is the person running the installation have admin access to the system? Even though it may appear as the installation had completed, uf the user running the installation didn't have admin privileges, most SQL (db) based application installations would not be complete.

Have you tried resetting the 'sa' password as instructed on the KB article?

If my memory serves me right, the default password requirement is minimum 8 characters for password and also exclude the ' sign when typing the new password using the
    command, type type a new 8-digit password instead of the 'complexpwd'. So for example if your new password is going to be blank123, the Start > Run > cmd > OK >
    > ENTER

This should do the trick, just pay attention to spaces!

If changing the password didn't help let me know and I will try to come up with other suggestions as I was good with GM6 but don't know version 8 but I think much like ACT 8, it uses SQL2000 so not sure if it supports SQL 2005 or Express.
    Also, please check to make sure your OS, service pack and SQL version is supported by the program.

3. Bobdrakke

Bobdrakke Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Turcoloco, I've reinstalled Ms sql 2005/Goldmine and set all permissions for sa and gave the account a password.

To anyone having the same problem open start menu-> programs -> Ms sql 2005 ->performance tools->sql sever profiler.

Then-> tools then sql server manger studio new window opens prompting you to connect to object explorer choose yes.

It then should display all properties of server right click root top object and choose permissions to grant or deny on DB usage.

My only problem now its installed (server install) but won't run on client workstation. I mapped the drive first then installed it and copied over the exe shortcut.

All that happens the splash screen of Goldmine shows then freezes and becomes non responding.

Like before any constructive help would be grateful
    TIA

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds