Good Browser?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ahmet476, Mar 7, 2009.

1. ahmet476

ahmet476 Private E-2

what's the most secure and least resource using browser? have anyone been trying chrome? I heard Opera was better than both IE and Firefox. Though wondering about Google Chrome. Any ideas?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Opera is good choice.

Are you short of system resources as I wouldnt be too bothered with what either Firefox or IE use in relation to ram etc as their is no point in having ram unused in your PC as its not benefiting you if its status is free (unused ram is wasted ram).

Chrome, not using it myself, trid it but dont really like its GUI and past security/privacy issue lean me in the direction of not trusting it, but this is personal opinion as some folk like it.

Nice lighweight and as secure as you can be is http://archetwist.com/opera/operator

But security is in the majority in the users hands, keep all OS and Software upto date, have decient security software installed and upto date and surf safely, with downloading applications from recognised sources.

3. ahmet476

ahmet476 Private E-2

Hey did I post this? I think a mod posted this as a seperate topic for me copying it from another thread. Thanks.

Also, I like tabs, so browsers without tabs have no chance. ;)

I have 512 ram, also I'm using IE7 right now. I don't know why but anytime I open it for the first time after start of my pc, it freezes and I either try closing it clicking close or use task manager to close it. So, I'm considering a change. Though it might be because of intense maintenance I've applied to my comp lately.

edit #(don' know lol)
    Actually now I remembered I was using McAffeSiteAdvisor which I removed due to really slowing the browser. I'm keeping my av and aspyw, and system up-to-date and trying to safe-surf as much as I can. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  4. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Ideally to run XP... you need to have at least 1GB of memory installed, otherwise it's gonna be a bit of a bumpy ride

5. ahmet476

ahmet476 Private E-2

I'm using XP Pro SP3 now.

@Halo
    I think the link you gave is a link to portable Opera browser, am I right? If so should I only use it installed on a flash drive?

Also please check the post#3, I've edited it several times, in case you haven't noticed.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

For me it's Firefox. Have been using it for at least 4 years and loving it. The browser is fully customizable, add ons galore and of course the tabs. So far it has never giving me any problems. *knock wood* The browser is pretty secure. Best security is the one between the monitor and the back of their seat. I've got WOT installed as an add on which is similar to Site Advisor as well as some other add ons. One needs the IE though for Windows updating.

When Chrome came out I researched a bit and found privacy issues in their EULA that concerned me.

Haven't tried other browsers other than IE.

7. DavidGP

Hi ahamet

Yes I moved it for you as seperate threads for your question get noticed more than tagging onto older one.

The freezing could be one of your startup applications, could be corrupt or need updating or you basically have too many startups starting with Windows, a full System Tray of icons is a easy sign of too many startups.

Do you have many toolbars installed as these can slow the browser down.

As for OperaTor, then no it works from HD or USB, but is indeed a portable version of Opera but using TOR its quick secure version of the two, has tabs so your fine, also this version cleans up after itself, so no left over temps etc.

8. ahmet476

ahmet476 Private E-2

Thanks. OperaTor Seems perfect as you described. I'll try it.

I only have running ad muncher, ess(egui), ctfmon and google toolbar notifier(swg) at my startup. (I'm using Advanced Uninstaller PRO's startup manager.) Is swg required to run? I can't disable it from running at startup and if I try to shut it with task manager, it comes back shortly after.

I have google toolbar installed as I can see it on the browser window. Is it possible some other installed and not showing up on the browser window? Where do I check installed toolbars other than browser window?

9. DavidGP

Hi

CFTMon you can remove if you dont need alternative input methods like Speech/Handwriting recognition by following this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

Google Toolbar, personally dont like it and too intrusive for me, so I would uninstall from Add/remove, but thats me, you may like it and best option to remove its swg file perminently, dont know Adv Uninstaller setup but if it manages startups then you should be able to disable or delete swg, or use StartupCPL and untick swg from the startup list.

As for finding other toolbars, can in IE righ click the menu bar and see what toolbars are enabled, or go in add/remove and look for toolbar applications, but by the sounds of your description you just have the Google one.

10. ahmet476

ahmet476 Private E-2

Thanks again. I thought ctfmon was required for MS Office applications to run properly as everywhere I seen descriptions like "it's a needed Office blah blah, and don't remove it" but if you're saying they're just for handwriting and speech I'll delete it.

It can't be disabled(if I disable it next time I check there are two swgs one in disabled box and the other in enabled) but I'll try removing it since I can check the toolbar updates manually.

I checked there is only Google Toolbar.

This topic is settled. You can close this. Thanks to everybody who posted in this topic, especially to Halo who helped much.

11. DavidGP

Hi ahmet

I always remove CTFmon as I dont need it and never caused any issues for me in doing so, also Microsoft wouldnt list the removal instructions if it was a very needed application or feature.

Pitty it cannot be disabled easy, but likely another component of Google Toolbar/Search/Desktop enables it at boot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds