Good Cloud Backup Software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Captain Midnight, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight Private E-2

I own a small business and enjoy my technology so I have a lot to backup. I got some externals. One for personal, one for business, and one for gaming. I wanted to back up off site. Is there any good software out there to meet my needs? preferably a one time purchase or not too costly. I planned on hooking these up to a router at relatives houses so if their house burns down I have my stuff here and if my house burns down then they have my backups. I have 1 laptop, a desktop, an android phone, an android tablets, and gaming consoles(probably will have to do that manually now and then). But what I would like to do is a full clone of the hard drive through the internet in the middle of the night when I'm asleep. At least once a week. I don't want to buy a cloud because I prefer not to have those that offer the service have my stuff. I am paranoid like that and if they ever got hacked I might loose sensitive information Especially in the business backup.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Sadly dont know how you can backup to the "cloud" without having your own dedicated one if you do not wish to use a 3rd party like Acronis, OneDrive etc personally I would stick to backups to externals and then store in a second location, office, bank or friends, or even a secure fireproof lockbox.

Eldon likes this.
  3. Captain Midnight

How would you make your own dedicated one? things change daily on my electronics so physically storing and retrieving this daily would get annoying. I thought there was an easier way of doing that by hooking up a drive to a router that has the usb port like the netgear nighthawk.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You would have to pay by renting server space - with a business providing that. So no real difference to using one of the well-known service providers.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You could do what you want using FTP and a file transfer program such as FileZilla. You would need to set up an FTP server on each of your relatives' computers and those computers would need to be left running 24/7. HERE is an article about setting up the servers and HERE a description of FileZilla itself. I've never tried this myself so you would need to do your homework but there is no reason at all it shouldn't work. Quite a lot of work if you decide to have a go.

6. Captain Midnight

Thank you! I'll look into it. convenient because I already have filezilla for my website. I know I can access my router connected drive and manually do a backup. I was just hoping there was software that would automatically do this and I would just have the backup location directed to the drive at the relatives house.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Another approach may be to use a VPN. AFAIK a VPN can enable you to add a remote computer to your LAN so that would be perfect. Unfortunately that's all I know about VPNs but maybe others here can comment.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds