Good database program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by starsky79, Jan 25, 2005.

1. starsky79

starsky79 Private E-2

Anyone know of a good database program to use, besides excel. I'm trying to help a band out by figuring this out. They don't want to keep pasting all the emails in their mailing list. Any ideas? or know of anyone who does this

Bill

2. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

There are many great database applications and excel isn't one of them. I can't figure out what you want to do but Microsoft Access is an excellent database. I comes with Office Professional or you can buy it separate.

I have been using FoxPro for years. I don't know if it is still on the market but it is very easy to use.

3. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Hi There
    Far as I know Open Office includes a data base. As a Freebie you could have a look at it.
    Cheers
    Robert

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Ok.. maybe a little more info.. what type of emails? are the bulk sending mail out to fans? there are other ways of doing these type of things. I dont quite understand how you are currently implementing excel (a spreadsheet) into your mailings.

As far as databases go filemaker is nice also.

5. KGHN

KGHN Private E-2

Visual Foxpro 9 is the last "VFP" Foxpro that Microsoft plans to release. It's getting hard to find in the expensive full retail version. However, you can buy a LEGAL "Open Business" license version still available from Microsoft's "partner" resellers. The "minimum quantity 5" rule is you have to buy 5 items, but to my surprise I learned that they don't all have to be the same thing. Including (4) $7 Microsoft software items with (1) VFP9 for $320, CDW.com will sell it to you for $350. This version is a download, not a physical package, and it can't be resold, but that's a pretty good deal for the fully functioning program, not an upgrade, and Microsoft is still selling new licenses this way in February 2014 even though the retail package is NLA. Foxpro is way more capable than Excel, and handy-dandy for designing and maintaining small business applications.

To clarify, you CAN sell applications you write with it. The terms say you CAN'T resell the Open Business version of the language when you are done with it, like you can with the retail package.

The end of VFP development leaves a niche open. I am looking forward to one of the open source xBASE languages to mature enough, and to have good enough documentation and support for reliable small business use...

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

The OpenOffice (as well as LibreOffice) DB is very limited. It also (still) requires Java.

Microsoft's free SQL Server Express is pretty good and fast, but requires some basic SQL knowledge.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Why are we bringing a 9 year old thread back? Surely there are enough threads from 2014 that require assistance.

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Sorry, I didn't notice that the topic was old, especially that old...

Hope someone will lock it.

9. Rookminka2017

Rookminka2017 Private First Class

I am looking for a simple Database Program to do my Music and DVD collection etc. I have Open Office but i did not like its one.

Does anyone know of a good one?

10. Rookminka2017

Nope? lol

11. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I am another vote for Microsoft Access it's really good program for databases.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

SQL Server (can probably use Express) with Access as the Frontend :p

13. Rookminka2017

I was looking for a free Program. :)

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It has also been discontinued.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

SQL Server Express is free.

16. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Sorry :( I have only known Microsoft Access program for creating databases. But I know there is free office suites out there but not sure if it comes with a database program. Which are Openoffice and Kingsoft Office.

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

Another, is mysql.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds