Good Firewall and Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steak and Eggs, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Steak and Eggs

Steak and Eggs Private First Class

sorry to bother you guys again, but i was wondering if you could recomend a good firewall and anti virus program. theres a lot to pick from and im looking for an easy to use stuff. nothin complicated cuz i usually end up messin somethin up. i tried zone alarm free trial version and "i" thought it was pretty good, although it didn't have as much protections as full version. i looked on the download page here and theres a lot to pick from. just let me know which ones are good. thnx

2. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

I've been through several AV programs in the last year and finally settled on Avast!. It has not yet let me down, it auto updates, and is very user friendly.
    I also use Zone Alarm Free Edition and it works well.
    You can download Avast!! from the AV section on the main page and ZA from the firewall section. Just my 2 pennies.

3. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Hi Steak,

What OS and ISP are you using?

4. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

The reason I ask is that there is a decent Firewall built into Windows XP and with SP2 , it will be even better. It has issues with AOL, though. Don't know if SP2 addresses those.

PP

5. Nirvana_CN

Nirvana_CN Private First Class

The Firewall with XP is very very poor. It only blocks inbound connections, not outbound.

For a Firewall i Reccomend Sygate Personal Firewall, for an Anti Virus either NOD32 of AVG.

6. Steak and Eggs

i have xp and i have grandecom isp and a cable connection so i really need a good firewall. will it let me download and use zone alarm twice? ive used it once already and used it to the last day. thinkin bout buyin full version. thnx for tha reply's tho.

7. billH

billH Master Sergeant

hey S&E :) Zone Alarm free should have no problems because you all ready downloaded it. It might uninstall the former copy, but it should be all good with the new install. Falling in line with Bocce, I've used Avast Home (free) for a couple of years: easy to use and it works great. Don't forget the spyware section on the main page also. You prolly should d/l AdawareSE, Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster for a better level of protection from trojans and scumware.

8. Steak and Eggs

ok, i just downloaded and installed avg and spybot search and destroy. i ran avg and it found 10 viruses, lol. every other anti virus i ran never found a virus so i guess this is finally a good one. spybot seems to be good so thanks for tha suggestions. im thinkin bout reformattin anyway cuz of all the clutter i got on my hard drive. so after i reformat im definatelly gonna reinstall these two programs. but first i think im gonna d/l sp2 before i install anything else cuz i heard it causes problems with installed programs and stuff. but thnx guys, any other suggestions r still welcome.:)

9. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

There are many mixed feelings about ZoneAlarm, I myself hate its layout and interface.

I'll agree with Boccemon and give a 2nd vote to Avast! antivirus free edition. Its got the scanning power of AVG, but also REMOVES viruses very well also. (something AVG lacks in).

I believe Avast! comes with a firewall, but I have not used it so I cant opine there.

I use Kerio and love it. There is a free version that doesnt block popups, scripts, cookies, or Ads, but paired with a good antivirus like Avast! you shouldnt need those features anyway.

10. Steak and Eggs

i tried kerio, but it is very confusing to me, i like zone alarms cuz its really simple to use and all. once i become more savvy wit the computer terms and stuff like what kerio uses, then i would prolly like it too. i couldn't really understand it. unless i was just missin somethin, i dunno. u d/l zone alarms again and it works, i guess u just reinstall everytiem it runs out, lol. i noticed that avg didn't remove one of the viruses so i guess u right bout it not bein that great in removing stuff. i try avast and see how it goes, thnx guys

11. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Quote: u d/l zone alarms again and it works, i guess u just reinstall everytiem it runs out, lol.
    Hey S&E, nope don't worry about ZA running out. Just register it (it's still free when you do) and it won't.

12. dewback

dewback Corporal

As far as the anti virus goes I like both AVG and Avast. For a firewall I would go with either sygate or zone alarm.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds