Good free email program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by comperroruter, Nov 19, 2005.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I was using Pegasus and uninstalled it when I started having some connection issues. Before I reinstall it, are their any other email programs out there that I should try?

While on the email subject, I have thought about Thunderbird, but I could not figure out how to set-up seperate identities for me and my family. Is this possible? It irritates me that I cannot use something designed to work specifically with my browser. And I aint switching back to IE so I can use Express...PFFFTTTTT.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. star17

star17 MajorGeek

3. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

No problem using Thunderbird and and you can add account's---- go to Tools/Account Settings/add Account

4. comperroruter

Can they be seperated via password, etc. ?

5. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Was just going to add the info jujet added :)

How've you been jujet? Been awhile:)

6. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

:) Hey Star thks for asking,yep been a long time is rite.Besides getting older I'm fine good to see ya posting and maintaining order.e-mail me sometime.

7. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Sure will...take care :)

8. comperroruter

O.K., I downloaded Thunderbird and I actually took the time to set-it up properly and I am pleased. The only problem I have, no seperation between the accounts/identities and no password usage to inhibit access into another account. Is there away to make this happen?

Thanks.:)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  9. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Sorry for the delay but being the only one using Thunderbird on my machine , I did some digging for ya Hope this helps you for more clairification

How to set up multiple users in Thunderbird

In Thunderbird, each separate user email account is called a "profile." Multiple profiles can easily be set up and run on a single machine. This feature is useful for a computer that hosts multiple users who use it to check their email. For a single user with multiple email accounts (e.g., a personal account and a county account), please see the "Multiple email accounts under one user" section below.

To set up profiles on Windows, open the Start menu and choose Programs, Mozilla Thunderbird, Profile Manager.
    (On Mac OS, open the Mozilla folder and then double-click the Profile Manager icon.)
    Be sure to uncheck the box that says Don't ask at startup.
    Click the button that says Create Profile.
    Follow the instructions and name the profile.
    When this is done you will be back at the Profile Manager screen.
    Highlight the profile that you want to use and click the Start Thunderbird button.
    You will need your account information when you set up your profile. This includes your login/username, your incoming mail (POP) server, your outgoing mail (SMTP) server, and your email address.

Once you have created at least two profiles, Thunderbird will prompt you to choose which profile to use every time you start the program. You will not be able to access any email or account information except from within the profile that the email and account information are tied to. For example, when you start Thunderbird and choose your own email account profile, you will not be able to read email from another user's email account profile. To switch profiles, simply quit Thunderbird and then restart it. The Profile Manager will appear and ask which profile you want to use.

Multiple email accounts under one user

If a computer has two or more email accounts that are checked by the same person (e.g., a county account and a personal UC account), the best course is to create multiple email accounts that are tied together because they all belong to a single user. Then you can check them all without having to create another profile. In Eudora these were known as "personalities," but in Thunderbird they are simply called "accounts."

The way to create additional accounts is to open up Thunderbird, then go to Tools --> Account Settings.
    Click Add account.
    Check Email account and then click Next.
    Enter name and email address; click Next.
    Select POP and enter incoming mail server.
    Uncheck Use Global Inbox; click Next.
    Enter incoming and outgoing username (login id); click Next.
    Enter a name for the account (e.g., "county email" or "my email"); click Next.
    Double-check the information and click Finish.
    Click OK to close the Account Setup window.

The new account is now listed by the name you chose for it. Any email that you receive to it or send from it will be in the folders associated with that account. If you choose to use the Global Inbox (the instructions above have you NOT using the Global Inbox), Thunderbird will create the account but will not create separate folders for it. In other words, all email will show up in the inbox for your main account regardless of what account receives it. When you click on Get Mail, Thunderbird will retrieve mail for both accounts.

10. comperroruter

*deep bow*

Thank you very much for your help, just what I was looking for. :)

11. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

:cool: Thanks for your reply appreciate it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds