Good Grief! What hav I done now??

Discussion in 'Software' started by dazedandconfuzed, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dazedandconfuzed

dazedandconfuzed Private First Class

Okay...so I ran all the scans and posted the logs over in "Malware Removal". Tim looked at everything and said I have no issues with malware. I decided to remove Comodo, then installed Avira Free Antivirus, Private Firewall 7.0 and SpywareBlaster. I rebooted and logged onto the internet via IE.

OMG! Every page I go to is now taking forever to load! I sell a lot on eBay and I can't have it taking several minutes to go from one page to another. :cry

I'm running Windows XP.

Please help ASAP!

Thanks in advance!

ps...even previewing this post took longer than usual.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Seems like this is a fairly common thing. Uninstalling any program that runs in the system tray seems to send XP into this state you have mentioned. I think it's because at the core of Windows alot of information has to be shuffled to accommodate the changes. Adding new programs after such an uninstall I have noticed seems to make the problem more difficult...like what you are experiencing.

I assume by Comodo, you mean the anti-virus or is this the Comodo total package with the A-V, firewall, and the internet browser. Whatever it is, if there is a removal tool for it, that might be a good place to start. If you could, please post the name of the Comodo product you removed...

One other thing. If you are on an older PC with a Pentium 4 processor, security scanners that run when you are on the internet can place a heavy burden on your PC. I use avast!, and there is an option for me under the scanner settings to exempt trusted sites from a-v scanning. I use this on a Pentium 4 PC I have, and it helps with the net quite a bit. You might start by adding the address for ebay in your avira exclusions list (if there is such a thing in avira) to see if this helps...

3. dazedandconfuzed

dazedandconfuzed Private First Class

Re: Good Grief! What have I done now??

Hi AltBo.:wave Thanks for your help.

I had Comodo Firewall only installed, not the full package. I used a different antivirus program. And yes, I am on an older PC with a Pentium 4 processor.

I rebooted again, and now things seem to be pretty much back to normal. I am still having a lot of "lag" time while on facebook. When I'm on my homepage I can only scroll down a little, then everything freezes for a minute or so while "things" on the page download, then I can scroll a little more, then it freezes again...and so on...and so on. That's what made me start this whole scanning and cleaning process, I thought maybe I had something malicious coming from facebook. Any suggestions on that?

I will check Avira and see if there is an exclusion list.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I suppose it wouldn't hurt at all to run a scan with your A-V or especially Malwarebytes to see if anything turns up.

I guess I would say that generally on XP I have found that the OS doesn't compensate as much as I would like when it comes to software changes to a system. I have worked with Windows 7 a little bit, and it seems a little better.

The exclusions list in avast! is under the Settings->Global Exclusions heading. In Avira might be Settings->Scanner Settings (or Exemptions) or something along these lines.

About the Comodo uninstall tool, apparently there is not an official one. There is something on the Comodo forum that was created by some users. Comodo doesn't recommend the program. Also, the program is in a thread dated 2011 and last updated in May 2013. Here is a link if you would like to take a look and see if the product you had is supported (most are):

http://forums.comodo.com/install-se...-for-comodo-products-inc-cis-v5-t71897.0.html

I did notice something about lag when I was reading in a forum looking for a Comodo removal tool. One of the posters had this to say:

Never thought of rebooting twice. Seems like it might help...

Good luck and keep us updated...

:)

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , what is the free capacity of your hdd ? What is the size of your Ram do you installed in your machine ? What is the processor of your machine ? Go to Start - Right click in My Computer - General tab ( there is the information of all that ) Maybe some remnants of Comodo haven't removed , you can also download this tool

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hard_disk_sentinel.html

informing us about the Health/Performance of your hdd :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds