Good hardware resources

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dkgoodwin, Dec 15, 2011.

1. dkgoodwin

dkgoodwin Private First Class

Hello Mj Geeks,

I need to replace a processor. The processor socket is AM2+. Having trouble finding that particular socket type.

Tried the usual suspects like, TigerDirect, NewEgg even the Compaq site. No luck.

Searched MjGeeks shopping too. No luck.

Do any of you have really good (and reliable and honest) online stores you like?

Thanks in advance!

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If the existing board and CPU are socket AM2+, you can use an AM3 CPU on the board, with the following caveat:

AM3 CPUs fit in AM2+ motherboard sockets (the difference is the AM2+ board uses DDR2 memory; an AM3 board uses DDR3). Before buying a new CPU, however, be sure your make and model of motherboard supports the CPU you're considering. In some cases, you may have to perform a BIOS update on the board before installing the new CPU.

Hope this helps. :)

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

NewEgg is good, so is Directron (www.directron.com)

4. dkgoodwin

dkgoodwin Private First Class

Thanks for that note on DDR. I have DDR2 so gonna try to stick w/ AM2+ if I can. However, I notice that particular socket isn't easy to find.

and thanks for the Directron thats a new one for me.

much appreciated!

5. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds