Good idea or not (hard drive related)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matth3w, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

Someone on another forum told me that to get max performance in my system, i should have a hard drive with JUST Windows on it, one for JUST the swap file, one for storage, and one for my programs/games. How true is this? If you agree, I am going to pick up a couple 40gb SATA drives.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The idea is basically to use the other drives for saving all your data to.
    However, it depends on the size of your hard drive you have at the moment.
    For dvd/cd writing, you can need 4 gb of space on your hard drive , if making large backups/films etc: So to run XP comfortably with no data saved on that drive, I find 50gb ample, and partition my hard drive to suit, saving data on a seperate partition, so that if Windows crashes, I can repair/reinstall, and my data is safr, and not lost in the process.
    If you have 80gb min hard drive, this can be done with partition software, or, more sophisticated software, as the installed version spreads itself, with other programs over your hard drive, and you don't want to have problems.
    So, if you are new to partitioning, and only have a small hard drive, a second, or third hard drive will do the same - you just connect one as slave drive, if using sata, then you can often connect more, but I will not confuse the issue further, at this time.
    By all means follow the advice, as you can add the drive , and just send/copy everything you value to it, and if you get problems with Windows, - then you will have no frets on your data, being lost.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

A small partition, or, hard drive for the swap file,can help speed up Windows when not on the same partition as Windows - or, on another hard drive.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Gamers might be able to tell you more about having games on a seperate hard drive, but I find it best to install and run any programs in the Windows drive., but I am not a gamer.

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

thats what I am doing now, with my games and apps on the same drive.

I guess the question is, is it worth it to buy a hard drive JUST for windows and JUST for a swap file or will I not even notice a difference?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds