good laptop battery supplier?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by powerdog, Feb 14, 2006.

1. powerdog

powerdog Private E-2

Any online source recommended for 3rd party laptop batteries that last longer on a charge and/or cost less than OEM? In my case, it's for a Sony Vaio.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

You'd be much better off using one from the same make as the manufacturer, in this case Sony. You'd get better technical support should something go wrong and in some cases you get an extended warranty for the laptop, not just the battery.

3. powerdog

powerdog Private E-2

I'm surprised, usually 3rd party manufacturers offer lots of good accessories and parts for popular electronics.

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Yes but that doesn't stop them offering a good-as customer service and from what I've seen, they'd be more likely to go wrong.

5. acejones

acejones A Different Title

ebay. just bought an authentic (albeit used) apple battery for $16 shipped.

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Avoid the aftermarket batteries made in China. I have 4 customers who have bought them(not at my suggestion) and all 4 of them get down to 20 -26%, start beeping and about 2 seconds later the machine goes dead. We have tried reconditioning the batteries but they still do the same thing. I generally recommend OEM Batteries for the best quality.

7. powerdog

powerdog Private E-2

OK, Sony just happens to have a battery rebate now. They claim the long-life battery gets 1.5 use on a charge vs the standard one. Is this kind of claim usually realistic?

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Sony batteries are probably made in China.

Anyway, Targus makes aftermarket laptop batteries.

9. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The Sony battery may be made in China but is is made to Sony specs, unlike the generic China batteries

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I don't believe Sony is any better than a decent brand battery, especially considering they like to charge a LOT more.

11. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Sony fan at all, in fact I avoid them like the plague because I don't like the fact that everything they make is so propriatary and then they did that RootKit stuff with CD's. However their spec on batteries for their equipment would exceed the spec on generic batteries. I only run ThinkPads and have over the course of the last 4 years determined that the Genuine IBM batteries perform better and last longer then any generic battery I have tried.

12. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I forgot to mention that I never pay IBM's price for batteries. I buy them new on eBay, usually for half the IBM price with warrantee.

13. powerdog

powerdog Private E-2

It's almost impossible to find a real Sony battery on Ebay, despite the auction titles. Clicking through on any of them shows that they're generics. But with the rebate, I can get within about $40 of the generics on a real Sony from a good dealer.

14. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

When I look on eBay I probably look at 25 or 30 auctions before I find one I want to bid on but I usually save quite a bit of money. I think IBM parts are a little more popular on eBay though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds