good overclocking XP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JJJIrish05, Jul 18, 2004.

1. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ok, im building a new computer very soon, and i have never over clocked before so im looking for a cheap AMD XP processor that overclocks pretty well and easily, what do u guys recommend???

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

What are the benefits of overclocking?
    How do you do it?
    And what are the downsides?

I haven't heard of overclocking until a couple days ago. Must be something I missed or never read about.

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

OCing *drool*

Here I had the exact same chip running at 400FSB at 2.3 GHz till i got my mobile barton .....sweat chip..........The benefits of OCing you say ?????
    Befor here and oc to the same speed as ( if not faster then ) ... this .....

4. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ya........ so which one should i get????? anyone???

cheap
    good
    easy

5. ACE 256

6. shockcell

shockcell Private E-2

amd2400

7. Slipstream

Slipstream Private E-2

ive had no problems with my amd 2000xp with barton core. its overclocked to a point where its now a barton 2500 xp.

8. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I dont like the way my 2400+ overclocks. I have it at a 2600+ but thats the best i can i get it to.

I would do what ACE says, he knows what he is talking about and i have read that that processor does overclock very well!

Also dont forget the cooling! Got to have good Cooling.

:cool:

cooked

9. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i believe there is no substitute for cooling than a good air conditioner ... assuming you can deal with 60 degree temp inside your room that is ... i run my cely(which ok doesn't run very hot to begin with) at like 75 that's cold, for a CPU i think, when my A/C is on full blast :cool: i think i have more to worry about it freezing :p ... (temp in fahrenheit i can't deal with celsius)

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Actually, you have to worry about water condensing on the motherboard and shorting out the PSU and wrecking your system. That is, if the A/C is pointed directly into the system.

11. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

well ... it's only the wall ... about five feet away ... it's not pointed at the PC i just like it to be cold in my room ... but yea ... i didn;t think of that ... but it's not very humid in my room ... ill hafta keep watch ;)

12. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ok, ACE, that is insane, how hot does it run? what kind of cooling do u have??? and this is my first time overclocking so i dont really wanna over do it, and im not the smartest person so i dont want to risk anything, so i was thinking about just getting a little higher one, and overclocking it a little bit, so ya, which one should i get?

does the 3000 overclock good or ever at all???

what about 2500 2600 2700 2800??? are those good?

i dont mind paying a little extra, and like i said im hoping for this to be kinda easy, and i dont wanna push it, what kind of cooling do u recommend? what do u have?

13. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

if you are looking for some OC fun, then go with a Mobile chip...
    I have a 2500+ and a 2600+ mobile... very nice indeed

make sure you have a board that is up to it.. I LOVE my DFI Lanparty board, but the Abit is good too....

14. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ok, im currently looking at getting this mother board:

ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU

pretty good one ive heard, so if i used that, which processor should i get? im thinking like 2500 or higher, and also what kind of cooling?

thanx

15. ACE 256

Thare all more less the same die ;) so get the 1800+ if its cheaper .... And exeter_acres is right mobile CPUs OC vary well ( thay tend to run cooler too ) I have this im running it at 2.6 with a 450 MHz FSB and it never brakes 120F. I know it has more head room but iv been to busy to mess with it laitly but now that my internet was shut off i have some time to play :D ( im at the library and somone wahts this computer .... :rolleyes: .....

16. stephan12345

stephan12345 Private E-2

Ive got msi board and 2600+ t-bred. I cant access any of the voltage settins in bios. How can I overclock?

17. electric2491

electric2491 Private E-2

I Got An Asus A7n8x-deluxe With A Amd Xp 2500+@3200+(had It To 2.51 Mhz,but The Ram Wasn't Up To It)this Was The First Time I Oc'd Any Pc.it Was Easy And Safe,cause The Asus Mb Has Safe Guards For Oc'ing With Their Boards,matter Of Fact I'm Getting Another 1 For My Wifes Pc.i Hope This Helps Ya Out.good Luck! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds