Good Program 4 Reduce Jpeg File Size ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Jul 6, 2016.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

Is there a good program for reducing the file (byte) size of jpeg files, and still keep some quality ?
    Thoughts ?

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

3. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can do it in Paint.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

There are dozens of programs you can use to reduce the size of jpeg files. Try any of those suggested.
    Usually you select a quality level from 1-100%. The lower the quality level, the smaller the file size. You'll have to experiment with different quality levels to find the ideal (for you) balance between quality and size.

6. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks to all for the replies/info !
    Sounds like some experimenting, and determining which application makes that the easiest, is needed.
    Probably start with Paint and go from there.
    Ps: And for even more on the learning curve, its still a bit confusing here as to whether we are changing the file size (bytes) or the image size (inches) with some of the interfaces we see.

7. Eldon

I use XnView.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/xnview_full.html

To change the file size...
    Open the file in XnView. Click File > Export... > JPEG and select the quality.

To resize the image...
    Open the file in XnView. Click Image > Resize... and select a pre-determined or custom size.

DavidGP and akm like this.
  8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm a great fan of XNView multitude of options in the app for images, so good suggestion Eldon.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I never heard of this program but once I read this
    it seems like something good to have handy on a stick or a computer.
    Thanks for posting the link, Eldon.

10. Eldon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds