Good registry cleaner?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Prophets21, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

I need one that won't remove any important stuff. :)

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

I use RegVac -- it is shareware so you need to pay up after 30 days Go ahead and use it in the novice mode to be perfectly safe.

useitandbuyitIdid

3. Prophets21

Thanks for the reply. I will try it but probably won't buy it. :)

4. star17

star17 MajorGeek

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That was only worth .01 cent. :)

I also use RegSeeker in combination with CCleaner, and have never had any problems.

RegSeeker also creates backups of deleted files.

6. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

I use Registry Mechanic (paid) along with RegSeeker and they seem too work well together finding what each other misses and restoring backups if needed ;)

Brandon

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  7. Mac_hover

Mac_hover Private E-2

I had a very positive experience with Amust Registry Cleaner.
    I downloaded it in September, run fixing and forgot about registry cleaning problems at all.
    I don't say that it drasticly boosted up my computer, but overall performance rised.

Recommend this excelent tool for everyone!

8. Prophets21

I'm liking RegSeeker more than RegVac, since it's free and does just as good a job.

9. Halbibabe

Halbibabe Private E-2

Has anyone tried the RegscrubXP? I like the tweaks under MIsc.

10. Doofus

Doofus Private First Class

I was using just CC then installed RegScrubXP. The initial scan found a number of issues which it fixed. I got the impression that the system perked up a tad after that. Have been using it since without any probs.
    Think I will download RegSeeker and see if either misses stuff the other picks up.

PS After running RegScrub I installed RegDefrag. It found the registry 11.6% fragmented, so its probably a good idea to defrag your registry occasionally as well.

11. Doofus

Installed RegSeeker. Ran a scan with RegScrubXP, found 3 problems. Then ran a scan with RegSeeker, found 526, repeat, 526 problems.
    Deleted all the entries, system seems to be fine, maybe even a bit snappier.
    No contest, it appears.

Would be interested to see what results you'd get if you did the same, Halbibabe.

12. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

We all continue to learn new things everyday---tried regseeker and found 165 problems wow

sytem does seem faster --thanks for the info

13. Halbibabe

Halbibabe Private E-2

Doofus,I went ahead and ran the Regseeker and it said it found 1457 problems.I ran Regseeker 4 times and it found somthing everytime.
    I then ran RegscrubXP and it found its normal four problems.
    So,I guess I'll run them both.

14. Insomniac

A word of advice, delete only what you know is safe, and always make a backup.

The Registry is not the place for experiments. I've never had a problem with RegSeeker yet, but I don't delete everything it finds either.

15. Doofus

"A word of advice, delete only what you know is safe...". Very sound advice, but how are doofi supposed to know what is safe or not? Are there any hard and fast rules to apply?

16. Tard

Tard Private First Class

Well, I tried a few of the posted cleaners, tried them all, and had them all fix all the errors they found. My PC runs mabye a tad faster now... and I can't play anymore videos of any format on my puter now too, lol. Nice... I love re-installing windows! I'm trying other registry fixers right now so mabye they can undo the damage, doubt it though. Any suggestions..?? Besides "make back-ups" and "dont delete everything"? haha

17. Prophets21

Find the backup folder, open it and merge every .reg file you find. There should be a link to the backup folder within the program you used. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  18. Tard

Tard Private First Class

I found the back-ups folder, and as I guessed, there's nothing in there :( . And just coincidentally, the only other program that wont function is system restore! What'r the odds, huh? So I guess I'll be alright to re-install XP on top of itself without reformating the HD?

19. Halbibabe

Halbibabe Private E-2

Tard, I used the Regseeker and it found over 1500 so called problems, so I went ahead and let the Regseeker fix the problems and wow am I ever glad that I used backup in the program because it caused all kind of weird problems and I had to put numerous things back in the Registry. This is not a program for the dumbass :) I uninstall the Regseeker. Regvac,and regscrubxp are good and safe for the novice.

20. Registry mechanic is also just as good for the novice cause it figures out what is bad automatically. When i run that i clean everything it finds and have no problems then i use the compact feature and it does bump the system performance a bit. Thats another good beginner program. A few clicks and your done.
    -the new tech guy

21. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

I'll second the Registry Mechanic program, newest version 5.0.0.144. Found over 300 issues (even after using the registry cleaner in CCleaner), fixed them all & my system is running better than ever.

22. Insomniac

There is nothing wrong with RegSeeker.

Any Registry program, where you delete EVERY entry it finds, will land you in trouble.

In RegSeeker, delete only GREEN items.

The only red items you should delete, are ones you know are safe to remove, otherwise you will break some programs and settings.

23. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

I use TweakNow RegCleaner and Crap Cleaner.
    Both are free and I've not had problems.

24. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Agreed....I've had to install a backup one time in three years. I think a common problem with some folks using registry cleaners is being a little to click-happy.

25. Tard

Tard Private First Class

I fixed my stuff pretty easy without backups. I just popped in my OS disk and booted with it and chose the "repair" option when it found the partition with my OS on it. Didn't have to delete anything or reformat the HD. So if you didn't do backups and it screws up your OS, then do this.

26. Mac_hover

Mac_hover Private E-2

Amust Registry Cleaner is made for that! It's very safe and don't harm your computer. They call it SmartScan technology, if i'm not mistaken..

Well, this what I recommend, because I used it by myself and my friends did.

.. of course some may have a different opinion.

27. Prophets21

Yes I was deleting red ones too and my phone syncronization software broke.

I have switched to RegVac as my primary reg cleaner. :)

Although I will go back and use Regseeker when the trial period for RegVac expires I expect.

28. Out of curiosity, i have had registry mechanic's licence expired for some time now. Is that bad if i have to use the older version or can i update registry mechanic by simply reinstalling it scince autoupdate does not work? Thanks
    -the new tech guy

29. akm

akm Sergeant

Will all of these 'cleaners' give the option to manually clean instead of automatically doing the job?
    Id like to find a good 'cleaner', but am very leary of auto cleaners and what they might end up doing to the system (been there done that), backup or not.

30. Doofus

After you scan with RegSeeker R-click and you will get an option to open Regedit, which I presume will allow manual cleaning.

31. No regedit is not a good place to meddle with the registry in. Change one wrong thing, and you may be saying sianara to your system. So i would just use a scanner like registry mechanic scince it figures out what you can and cant do and only lets you do things that will help you and then again should you mess somethin up, thats what backups are for.
    -the new tech guy

32. mPK

mPK Private First Class

yeah, i also use registry mechanic as well. pretty good. never had any problems with it..

33. Insomniac

I realise that you are trying to help, but your advice isn't sound.

Doing a Repair can mean that you lose settings as well as Service Packs and patches, so it is always a last resort.

34. akm

akm Sergeant

35. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

I have heard of it, and heard that it was a good registry cleaner. But I never personally tried it.

Brandon

36. Mac_hover

Mac_hover Private E-2

I've read a lot of different opinions and reviews, tested different cleaners.
    My perfect is AMUST Registry Cleaner . It enables you to choose whether to fix all found errors automatically or to check manually what do you want to do and what you don't.

But, even if you do everything automatically you should not worry! This cleaner is very professional and safe.
    I was talking to AMUST team about this matter and they told me that the reason why it's safe - it's built by highly experienced people, who know
    every corner of the registry. Cleaner uses new engine SmartScan.

I was told that the 2nd version is coming with some useful features. Hope they improve an engine too.

37. Insomniac

PLEASE support this site, we have it HERE.

This place carries just about everything, so always check here first.

38. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I use EasyCleaner and although it is an older application it is one recommended by Langa.com. He has a good thread comparing 10 differing Reg Cleaners and recommends EasyCleaner and jv16 powertools (there is a free older version). Fred Langa provides very sound advice and often explores many sys aspects with a very technical and impartial assessment, look at the threads:

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-10-10.htm

which leads to the link;

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=171203805

Only 2 pages long and I always visit the majorgeeks forum but I also cross refrence with some technical experts like langa.com, I am in no way affiliated but do highly recommend his FREE newsletter, home page and website in general. I use the search feature for any legitimate queries and always find quality threads.

As stated in earlier posts only delete what you know you can unless you like playing the reinstall and file loss game and langa's mentions there are numerous Reg Cleaners that will generate false positives!!!!!!! possibly generating the need for their product.

39. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

As stated in post 183 there are many app's out there that can generate false positives for whatever reason (bad design, artificially generating a need for their product (ours finds more errors than any other app, lol) etc, etc).

A simple test for any reg cleaner is to run it 3 times, BUT DO NOT FIX/DELETE anything. If it finds the same amount of entries each and every time then you may have an integral product. Do this before using the app to modify your registry in any way, if it finds a differing amount of entries each and every time you may have an app of lower quality, don't take a chance and don't use it.

40. Insomniac

Why are we dragging a thread that's months old back up?

41. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Sorry insomniac I was just searching for threads on RegCleaner and came across this one. Obviously reg cleaners are a concern and important app for many readers and I had to put my .02c in for this one.

42. Insomniac

No need to be sorry, and not a big deal, just curious that's all. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds