Good reliable external hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hexagon, Apr 27, 2009.

1. hexagon

hexagon Private E-2

What is a good reliable brand of external hard drive?

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have 2 one is an Iomega 500gb that i have had for 3 years without the slightest problem (touches wood)
    The second is a standard Samsung 500gb hard disk that i put in a standard case and that has been working now for 2 years without a problem (this one i can install in the PC if i ever need more space)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

All brands of external hard drives have good and bad models, just like cars.
    Before I buy something, I usually google to see any complaints. That will give you an idea of the current state of each brand - carefully note the date of the post because a complaint posted two years ago isn't valid today.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

For a personal recomendation as I have 3 of them, Western Digital Passport drives are good, they are small, very portable as they use the USB ports power to run them so no extra PSU cables to lug around and all are working fine, one is near 4yrs old.

HDDs these days are very robust, but as mentioned above do check out the reviews, btu check a few reviews out and dont rely on one.

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I have had an Iomega for 3 years no issues at all. I have also had the same success with a 500 GB WD My Book.

No problems with either and do exactly what they are supposed to do.

My two cents........don't like to power large hard drives through the USB connection.

6. phanderson

phanderson Private E-2

I appreciate the advice

7. phanderson

phanderson Private E-2

Thanks very much

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds